Monday, March 17, 2008

Quick update on the eunuch

He's such a love... greeted me with a wagging tail at the vets even if he was parched, cross-eyed from residual drugs and had trouble coordinating his legs - we did make it home though, where he hungrily ate two cookies and lapped up giant bowl of cold water, two very good signs.

Whimpering subsided after a while and there was no howling at the walls, which is a huge improvement over the last time he was under anaesthesia *whew*.

He slept a bit, ate a cup of dry food (it's Burger King to him) and then crept into his crate of his own accord, where he's been passed out since then. Could I ask for a better patient? For the record he rarely goes into that crate anymore, so it just goes to show how strong the "den" instinct is in wounded/healing animals.

My little angel:

He needs to take painkillers and anti-inflammatories for 5 days and *crossing fingers* the wound stays clear and the swelling goes down quickly. Stitches come out in a dozen days and then he should be good as new! Minus the ballsack.

On another note... I did a bad thing tonight.

Vegas left a sweatshirt behind for me to wear when I miss him and I had a wave of waaaah so I just hugged the shirt and buried my face in it... oh the sweet scent of heaven. But this only made me miss him more. Crap!

I don't think it's possible to be in love with someone if their smell isn't right. Or am I just weird, as usual?

/end of g'nite post/

20 comments:

Trippincherri said...

How come over yonder in your neck of the woods your doggies get staples and removable stiches?
Over here our dogs get dissolvable stitches, that way there is no extra trip to the vet and they just go away on their own.
Weird.

Anonymous said...

Oh...I'm addicted to my "friend"'s smell. I think you have to love the smell in order to love the man. Seriously.

the Constantly Dramatic One said...

AHAHAHAHAHAH!! The title kills me.

voiceinmyhead said...

i think smell is SUCH a big part of attraction. ithink it's bigger than most people give it credit for...it's chemical! you are definitely not the first woman to curl up and sniff after your man has left....
and i'm happy to hear your pooch is doing well...i can't help but imagine just how large the "furry plums" were!!
am i a freak??

Technodoll said...

Trippin, I have no idea why that is... perhaps because it was a big surgery (they removed the scrotum too) and he's a big dog?

PrincessB, yeah totally. For me it's one of the deciding factors in attraction...

C.Drama, it is what it is! LOL!

VIMH, he he not a freak... let's just say they were bigger than human ones! eeek! As for the lover's scents... mmm. Now I miss him more than ever - drats!

Dolce said...

Poor little pup. You'll be glad the balls are gone...no more humping, right?

As for smells, I love the way PH smells. He used to wear a colonge in college he no longer wears, and everytime I smell it on someone else it reminds me of when we first met.

Technodoll said...

Well he's never humped anything so that's not why I got it done... but glad it's over with!

I remember a boy I had a crush on wearing "Polo" in high school and to this day, whenever I get a whiff of it anywhere: bam! transported back to yummydays :-D

Scents are magical.

Sian said...

It is amazing how evocative scent is. I passed an older lady the other day and she was wearing the same scent as my much loved but long gone grandmother. I had to go sit down to pull myself together. But I was glad I still had that reaction though. Weird eh?

prin said...

Aw. I like sweaters too... And smells. But only good ones. :D

Smell is the sense tied strongest to memory...

I hope Dakotah's ballsack (or lack thereof) heals nicely. :D

Curly said...

Oh no, you're absolutely right!! Smell is everything. Always a nice morning treat to step into the elevator with a man who smells good. :-D

You should have asked the vet for the plums back so you could hang them up like furry dice from your rear view mirror.

Technodoll said...

Sian, awe... bittersweet moments, eh? (hugs)

Prin, of course only the good scents count ;-) Mind you, all kinds of scents are tied to memories, it's a super strong pull.

Curly, only you would think of such a thing!! ROTF! Now I know what to get you for christmas...

Anonymous said...

Awww, how cute!

Smell is a very vital part of a person.

Curly said...

Yes! I'll hang them on my Christmas tree.

Anonymous said...

Awwww...he looks so peaceful in his crate. Boy, he had a big day. But patient seems to be doing well. What made you wait until now for him to get snipped.

Technodoll said...

Elisabeth, so true... mmm man scents. purrr.

Curly, how will you explain that one to the kids?

1218, we wanted him to mature into a big thick akita (which he did) and his balls never caused much trouble (no humping and stuff), and being an indoor dog he was under strict supervision. but he turned 4 recently so it was time... am hoping this will prevent future health issues, god help me believe I made the right decision. am starting to have doubts now :-(

Curly said...

too late for doubts now b/c they're going up on my Xmas tree. :-D

Anonymous said...

Hope both of you are doing well today!

prin said...

Seriously, I come here and end up stuck here, hypnotized by the bunnies.

Technodoll said...

I freaking love those bunnies. They should be everywhere :-D

KA said...

Wow, my puppies "den" is sometimes their crate...other times its under my bed.
Most of the time they like to be wherever I am. I have been sleeping on the futon lately because... I dunno... Felt like it? Well that little futon that's meant to spread into a narrow bed-like thing is able to fit me and both my dogs.

I'm such a pushover.
When they voluntarily go into their crate, it is such a blessing. Means i can wake up by normal means, as opposed to two pups trying to clean my face.