Thursday, March 13, 2008

Dear God



I love, love, love this classic XTC song... Wikipedia states "Dear God is a song on XTC's 1986 Album Skylarking, controversial because of its anti-God sentiment which might be interpreted as either dystheism or atheism. In the UK, when the song was originally released as a single many record shops refused to stock the track, fearing a religious backlash."

Watch the video, it's brilliant... and it's subtitled, so the lyrics cannot be misinterpreted. I won't disclose my religious beliefs here (to each his own) but suffice to day, they were brave to sing what many people only think about but never dare to voice.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great video! Thanks for sharing hon!

Anonymous said...

That's an amazing video! Thanks for posting!

KA said...

Great video - and to be honest, I agree with what they're saying (uh oh - an american soldier that's an atheist? say it isnt so!)

Whether or not there is a God - I dont know, cos I certainly don't "feel" his presence anywhere. But I DEFINITELY do not believe in the religious community or any of the doctrines written by men.

Technodoll said...

I've loved that song since I first heard it over two decades ago (gasp! I was but a teenager!) and it still hold well today, IMO.

The tree of life... the light and the darkness... youth and old age. Quite symbolic.

Sian said...

I love XTC, such a unique sound. Their Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead is another classic... and The Disappointed
Don't get me started
*wanders off in search of Nonesuch*