I really really like my new colleagues - and that's saying alot after being stuck in a small stuffy hotel meeting room with them for two days straight! Bad catering, stale coffee and death by powerpoint would be enough to dampen most people's will to live but you know what? These guys still rock and I just know I'll have a blast working with them :-)
Oh and if that wasn't enough, tonight was the "adieu"-slash-christmas party of my now-defunct old company.
Was super happy to see the gang again... they're like family to me and everyone was thrilled to hear about my good fortune (awe!), I skipped the drinking cuz I need to be gentle to my recuperating tummy and we left early-ish but I still had a blast.
Oh and everyone got a really lovely branded stainless-steel watch... the very last item produced with the company logo. Sad to see the end of a era, it really is like losing a best friend. I know I know, I'm such a nerd! But if you had worked there you would know what I mean.
That watch will fetch a killing on eBay someday. Not MY watch, am never going to sell it, but others might. Crazy what some fanatics will pay for collectibles.
Vegas is chainsawing and shooting alien monsters on his xbox right now.
I will never understand the fascination.
Gore, guts, more gore and exploding brains. FFS!
OK the sweetheart did spoil me again tonight with a beautiful card and a little gift "just because"... I often wonder what I did to deserve him! Oh wait... I let him play hours of gory xbox on the TV and nevermind my cooking shows. It evens out :-D
Have any of you ever given a homeless person more than $5?
/end of Sorry For Rambling Your Heads Off post/
14 comments:
First off, I am so glad that you love your coworkers. Those situations are so rare to find, you will probably end up retiring from this company because you love it so much. It sounds promising and I am so jealous! Happy you got another "Just because" gift from Vegas - those are the best huh? And to answer your question, $20...on the side of the interstate exit ramp. Funny - it was the VERY last time I gave money though because the guy said when he took it "Be careful". Freaked me out so bad I refuse to give anymore that way to a bum. It made me think he was a fake bum out to scam and he realized I was naively giving. So now, I only donate to reputable charities. Anyway - hope your day was a good one. And congrats again on the job :)
I don't get the fascination either. Isn't it stressful? *shrug*
I'm glad you like your new job. :)
And I'm glad you're still getting just 'cause gifts. :)
And I'm glad you're feeling betterish.
And the last question, yeah. I gave a mom a bunch of money before Christmas one year. She said she didn't have enough money for a tree for her kids, so I gave her enough for a tree and she cried and hugged me.
When I was in the warm last time, a guy asked my guy for $11 to pay for a night at a hostel and he gave it to him. I loves him.
* I guess mine wasn't homeless, per se, but you know what I mean. lol
it's cathartic - and some day I might need to chainsaw an alien in two, so I'll be glad of the practice.
Once I ebay my watch, I'll be able to get a bigger chainsaw. You never know :)
Anyway, it's my job to be an expert on games... I'm just being diligent with my research :D
p.s I once gave a homeless guy 10 pounds, and he asked me for more. He didn't have change for a 50 though.
Joke!
Good for you... I'm jealous about the watch... Do you think someone who worked there for 13 years, 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days and 3 hours (I know, weird) could find a way to get one?
As for homeless, I very rarely give homeless any money at all, but I used to give lots money to my needy bro and sometimes to my parents... But I realize my bro is needy because of his own will... I kind of slowed down a lot...
And someone you know well (who's currently on a sabbatical around the world :-), once told me a story about giving money for food, and then starting to give food tickets and finally founding food tickets that had been thrown away... You know...
I'm sure some of those homeless do deserve that we give them some money, but I have a feeling many don't. The problem is... How do we tell the difference?
As for gory chainsaw fun, I don't like it either, but I respect those who do. I prefer music, so Rock Band and Guitar hero are more fun to me...
BYE
MAD
Vegas! LOL!
Cool about the job! :0
Yay! I'm glad that you have ossum coworkers! =D
How can you tell? I think you can see it in their eyes. I think some have really gentle, kind souls and those I try to help.
lol @ Vegas.
Daring, wow that is indeed creepy... was he prophetising in general or just a rotten seed?!
Prin, it sure is stressful to see all that gore... ugggh. But what can ya do... our mens have big hearts and that sure balances things out :-)
Vegas, "sure, sure". ;-)
MAD, are you serious! That's just wrong... but then again how many times have I offered food and got told "no thanks, just give me the money instead". Um, if you were that starving you'd take the damn food so feck off, buddy. Grrr.
Lola, yes très cool!
CD, me too... there's nothing like a poisonous work environment to kill any desire to get up in the mornings (ask Prin!)
Prin, most of the time their eyes are glazed over or mostly closed, it's sad... ignore Vegas, hims a cheeky git!
So great that you are liking your new co-workers...that can make life SO much better.
The party sounds like fun, oh, and a watch??? Love it.
No, I don't think I gave a homeless person more than 5 bucks, cause usally I don't have more than 5 bucks. :)
Yay! I am so glad to hear you love your co-workers--even after a death by power point experience.
I don't get the fascination of video games either. I'm usually so tied up in knots when I'm done playing that I have to go find some way to actually relax.
Hmmm, I don't usually give more than $10 to a homeless person. But I do try to give something. I had an experience once when I was still in my teens, I was in San Francisco and this guy was begging for just $.37. I didn't give it to him, I was young and trying to be careful. But the tone of his voice and his pleading still haunts me.
I give most of my donations to charitable organizations, but I try to keep some small bills on me when I'm out in the city.
So glad you like your new job!
I hear ya on the video games...definitely don't understand it *rolls eyes*
I don't think I have ever given more than that to a homeless person...
video games....ungh not so much, I don't get it either.
Glad you are enjoying the jobbie.
Homeless, they get food or zippo, and usually zippo....I give to Dans La Rue and I volunteer feeding people at the Old Brewery Mission, I figure I'm doing my part.
Post a Comment