Saturday, March 21, 2009

A day of smooooth

Yep. Easy peasy weekend after a super-busy past few days, and it feels great.

Although it was lovely to sleep late this morning, the blasted PMS headache ate my will to live... But after a big breakfast, pain meds and a walk in the warm, dry and breezy field with Vegas and the doggies, I'm functional enough.

We hit the grocery stores and then the liquor store for a good bottle of red, tonight I'm making spicy baked sweet-potato fries and acorn squash to go with the leftover pork tenderloin roast, that'll be just awesome.

Mid-afternoon lunch was a salad: fresh tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, diced spanish onion and crumbled feta cheese tossed in olive oil, aged garlic wine vinegar and cracked black pepper. Another coffee and a piece of sugar pie topped that off. Hah. No wonder my flippin' pants keep shrinking.

Oh well.

Had enough about food yet? :-D

So yeah, the house. Inspection went very well, although I think we paid way too much for the lackadaisical approach. It's like the two guys thought it was funny or something.

Inspector, squinting: "Looks like some shingles are missing from the roof."
TD: "Well, you will put that in your report after you've inspected the whole roof, right?"
Inspector: "Oh, the roof's too high. Our ladders won't reach so we won't go there."

Duh. That was just lazy.

Like, all over.

I'll be curious to see the report they send us, with photos and recommendations, as I've seen what a $500 inspection got us the last time.

So, there were a few issues on the outside of the house but most are easy things to fix and the owners will have to do a few repairs on their dime before we move in.


We've agreed to do
some other stuff, like lowering the deck and fixing the side of the house that it's attached to, as it was declared before we agreed to buy the place.

In essence the house is a concrete bunker, there are no cracks in the foundation (which is wrapped in a waterproofing membrane), the plumbing and electricity are new, the windows are tight, everything is straight and works properly, there are no humidity or air problems and frankly, we're so in love with the place that we'll just deal with any problems as they surface.

We're chuffed!!

Also, the bank evaluator was a super nice gentleman who actually knows the owners, how cool is that? He said to sleep tight over the weekend and that there shouldn't be any problems with his report so by Tuesday or Wednesday, we'll know for sure that we've got this damn mortgage!

OK, time to throw another load of laundry in ze machine.

No rest for the wicked!

/end of Where Are The Knob Jockeys? post/

13 comments:

prin said...

Was it the same guys as last time?

Happy sunny Saturday (it's still a little chilly though...).

Lola Smiles said...

Cool. It's all cool! :)

Sweet T said...

Yey! Things are looking good eh? Wooohooooo :)

Technodoll said...

Prin, nope different guys and I regret not spending the extra $200 to get the other inspectors, to be honest. Lesson learned!

Lola, yes 'tis!

Sweet T, totally! It's a dream come true!

Vegas said...

it's been great to have a saturday without travelling or doing house related stuff :) Shame we are both a bit rundown, but it has still been good.

As for the inspectors, they really didnt come close to what we got before - but then again, this place is of such a high build quality, I wouldn't have expected him to find anything either.

Besides - we are judging on the chatty guy that we wandered around with, not the busy guy that was doing all the work.

PS - I wouldnt have gone up on that roof either, especially not in the wind we had yesterday.

mmmm dinnah

Technodoll said...

Vegas has a man-cold and I have PMS. We're such a perfect couple :-D

prin said...

Hey, btw, my neuro last week said to take pain killers two days before the pms migraines. Like, the idea is to enter pmsdom with a foggy brain, I guess. lol Basically, she said if you ever know for sure you're going to have a migraine, start taking the pills before it even hits a little bit...

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

Sounds like everything is moving along. I think if you can get as much done as cheap as possible or "just meet" standards you will be good. Your meal sounds amazing...meant to go to grab a new bottle of wine while we were out today, but forgot..so enjoy yours ok! SO happy for you guys...really am! When do we get to see pics!?

Busy Bee Suz said...

It all sounds wonderful...aside from the PMS/headache. That right there will take any one down....
Take care....Suz

Technodoll said...

Prin, I'll try that next month, thanks! I can time the buggers to 28 days! *shakes fist at hormones*

Daring, I will post a photo of the back yard next week once I know that for sure, it is ours :-)

Busy Bee, meds are my best friend! That, and fresh spring air - can't get enough of it after this long cold dank winter. Hormones can piss off, LOL.

Sian said...

Hope all goes well :o)

Tonya said...

food sounds yummy! so will you be able to post pics soon?

Rebecca Foster said...

I can't wait to hear that this is a done deal! Awesome the good news you've gotten so far about it.

I dream about Western food, no exaggerating, so hearing about what you're eating always makes me drool. I LOVE sweet potato fries.