Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Am I normal?!

So I became an auntie for the first yesterday...

...And I'm still waiting to feel happy for my brother.

I mean I'm happy that he's happy to be a dad now, but hell. A screaming stinky baby in the family now. Great. I don't care who they belong to, they give me hives and I want nothing to do with them.

I feel no joy at this turn of events and can only see myself not attending family events anymore if said bundle of diapers is there.

My dad and other brother are going to visit this weekend and I was asked to come along, if I wanted to (via a voicemail left on my phone). Over my dead body would I want to - shudder. Just happy to have Vegas here the next few days though, it gives me a polite excuse to decline cuz I don't want the truth to be known... I suspect my mom knows how I feel though, but still - I will be labeled as the cold-hearted bitch.

I suppose I'll have to call my bro tomorrow to congratulate him. Sigh. I hate lying and being fake, it makes me feel even worse than to be the said cold bitch and telling the truth "hey man I feel sorry for you... stuck for the next 18 years. Hey good luck with that".

My question to you all was... am I normal to have such a distaste for babies and children? To the point where I will avoid family gatherings so as not to be forced to hold the thing or coo over it or buy it stupid presents? Are there others out there like me who feel sorry for the breeders?

Why do people feel the need to procreate anyways? Sigh. Give me puppies and my freedom, and I am happy.

Being an auntie already sucks. Ghah!

11 comments:

Daszzle said...

Hmm, now don't take this the wrong way... but if normal is defined by mass-majority ruling- then no. However, I've always thought that was a crap way of defining normal, so sure, you're normal. What is normal anyway? For my feminism class I wrote a paper about being childless. I say to each his own. Why should you be overjoyed? It's not for you.

Ooh, I have a little treat for you at my site.

Technodoll said...

Yeah, that's a comfort eh? What _is_ normal anyways? Sigh. I just hate feeling like the bad guy, you know? :-(

Of course I'm off to check out your blog now LOL!

prin said...

I don't know normal from my ass, but your anger about it isn't healthy. *shrug* You're not indifferent, you're actually angry about it. That's not good. ;)

Hug the baby. :P

Technodoll said...

I'm more upset than angry... I was happy with the way things were before, and now there is a nuisance in the picture. Sigh.

I reckon I'll be forced to touch the thing at some point (ugh) but I will try to avoid that for as long as possible.

Skryker said...

Hmmmm. I can't say whether or not you're normal.

Normal for me (and I'm not saying it's right for everyone) is not being able to wait to hold a baby. I love babies!

I doubt anyone will make you hold the baby if you really don't want to. I wouldn't, if I were the parent.

I'm sorry if this upsets you, td, but I find it sad that you're so put out by an addition to your family. :( (hug)

Technodoll said...

I guess I may not be normal then? My family was just fine the way it was, it didn't need any additions. Now it's just more crap to deal with. UGH. Babies stink!

Anonymous said...

Hey luv, I am glad someone feels as virulent about it as I do, but you knew how I felt.

I hate anything under 12 and even at that age, they better be damn well brought up and bright.

As for it being normal, I'm not sure. I think we are programmed to reproduce, so we should instinctively like children. I guess we (those who don't intend to have children - ever) just don't like the shift in priorities, added responsibility we can do without and the loss of our freedom.

Have fun this week-end!

Cheers,
G.

Technodoll said...

*high five*!!

although i don't mind them around 8 and up IF, like you say, they are bright and well-mannered. It's the babies and toddlers and 1st graders that make my skin crawl.

Anonymous said...

You do realise that Vegas has a gorgeous child????

Anonymous said...

I'm right with you on this one. I avoid family gatherings due to the fact that there are THREE children under the age of THREE (thanks to my idiot step-brothers who don't know what a goddamn condom is!)at every event.
I've never liked kids and I sure as hell don't ever want any. All my life I've heard that I will change my mind as I get older. Well, I'm 31 and believe me, the older I get the more I KNOW that I don't want any of those little monsters running around fucking up my life!
Don't feel like there is anything wrong with not liking babies. There are plenty of us out here that feel the same way. Puppies are soooo much better.
Good luck with your brother!

Technodoll said...

Anonymous #1... yes, I realise that. And I love her already - she is the exception of children, and not the rule. Plus she's neither a baby nor a toddler,which are the issue. I'm fine with older, bright and well-mannered kids. ;-)

Anonymous #2, thanks for the support! Bring on the puppies :-)