Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Remembering John Baptiste

I want to grab my sleeping bag and go sleep outside tonight, it's that perfect. Dark now, slight breeze, 23C... Beautiful. And it makes ME feel... beautiful. Imagine if I could live in this climate for most of the year? My cheeks would hurt from all the smiling, no doubt. I'd totally have a garden, even if it's only hanging in pots from an old balcony. I want a lemon tree someday, yes. Just walk outside barefoot in the grass and pick a lemon from my tree, and squeeze the fresh sweet sour liquid on a bed of garden lettuce... aaaah.

This guy I used to know lived in California, in the hills just a way back from LA. beautiful neighborhood not too far from the sea, very proper. John was his name, a mutual friend had introduced us years ago but we came to talking now and again. On one of my unfortunate californian visits i had a tiff with the friend i was staying with, so John came to rescue me, we made dinner at his place and he did just that: went outside in the rain, barefoot, and came back with a couple of ripe, juicy lemons from his tree. I'll never forget that evening - and it was the last time i saw him. John died of a heart attack a few months later, sitting in his chair watching tv... he was 41 years old and had no known health problems. RIP dear Trip... you brought much light into this world and you are missed by many.

No comments: