My hands have finally stopped shaking enough for me to blog about this morning's events. I'm OK now but a piece of me died inside and I will never be the same again.
After the morning coop duties, I set out with the three dogs at about 8:30am for a short walk around the park in our back yard. I didn't think to put their collars on as we were only gone for a few minutes, the big walk was scheduled for later this afternoon - I was sleepy and tired and it was freezing cold in the blustery wind, snow squalls blowing left and right, hard to see anything. Walking in the deepish snow is hard work, specially on no breakfast.
Dante was good as usual, he never lets me out of his sight. Dakotah and Maika, the two akitas, took off in different directions and disappeared in the woods, no matter how much I called them back. They do that often so I wasn't too worried, just pissed off since I had to hang around waiting for them to resurface, panting and smiling.
Waiting... Waiting... Waiting. They usually come back after 10, 15 minutes max. This time: no dogs. 30 minutes. One hour. One and a half hours. Two hours.
You don't want to know what I went through in those agonizing moments.
I went out three times to try and follow their trails in the windswept snow. I yelled, I called, I hollered. I walked and walked and walked and walked some more. Nothing. I called local vets to see if anyone had called in for found dogs (there is no SPCA service in this town). I contemplated the worse: never seeing them again, them being lost, cold, laying hurt in the snow. Kidnapped. My knees buckled and I wailed with grief that I hadn't felt in many, many years. It was all my fault, I had failed them. I couldn't breathe through the sobbing, I couldn't see through the tears.
My world had fallen apart.
Dante stayed by my side the whole time, he wouldn't go to his bed even if I asked him. He leaned against me, slowly wagging his tail and licking my face, covering me with kisses, pushing his head against me. He walked gingerly with me in the woods, sniffing for trails, listening, looking, hoping.
On our last round, trudging through the back field to get home, he picked up a trail and started running. Then barking frantically: I knew he had seen his brother and sister, waiting for us near the front porch.
I collapsed in relief, called them over, covered them in kisses. Swore to them and to myself that I would never, ever let this happen again. They had just lost their freedom and my trust in exchange for their life.
Maika was a bit dirty but nothing major, Dakotah on the other hand was yellow, brown, sticky and smelly, covered in bright red splotches of blood like a dalmatian - they had gone hunting and some poor creature in the woods lost their life because of me. It just breaks my heart.
Of course they were starving and have been sleeping ever since. Lucky. Over two hours of adrenaline will do some serious damage to a person's system and it wrecked my whole day, I can't focus on anything. Dakotah will get a bath this evening as he is filthy and that's about all I can manage.
The irony?
Luna, my new easter egger hen who has been here for about three weeks now, decided that today was the day to grace me with a huge and most exquisite mint green egg:
So yeah, today has been about extremes... Loss, grief, relief, tears, nightmares and a dream come true. Funny how life works out sometimes. Now I just want to go to bed and start all over again tomorrow, a clean slate. Erase this bullshit.
Am tempted to turn the comments off for this post but some of you would get mad at me for doing that, so maybe you could leave a joke or something to make me laugh? I need to forget.
/end of A Glimpse Into The Abyss post/
15 comments:
it won't happen again. Right? so nothing to fret about.
And that egg....so beautiful, green my favorite color!
My heart fell to the floor. Thank God they are home. Beautiful egg.
Okay, it's a little dirty so if you want to delete it I will understand.
One night, as a couple lays down for bed, the husband starts rubbing his wife's arm.
The wife turns over and says 'I'm sorry honey, I've got a gynecologist appointment tomorrow and I want to stay fresh.'
The husband, rejected, turns over.
A few minutes later, he rolls back over and taps his wife again.
'Do you have a dentist appointment tomorrow too?'
Roses are red
Violets are blue
The dogs are home
They smell like poo.
Sorry for your bad day...I understand this though. You won't let it happen again, that is for sure.
The green egg is amazing. Is it for eating? Or making a new baby? I will never get the hang of your chickening. :0
I think Chickening is a great word for what you do.
xoxo
Suz
Oh sweetie! It all worked out:) Hugs to you and your lovely green egg!
ok so that egg is so gorgeous! How exquisite i have never seen anything like that! I am so happy the doggies are ok, I got so nervous as I continued to read your post and wasn't sure if I wanted to read the end.
Alright I am not very good at jokes, but here it goes:
Two women friends had gone out for a Girls Night Out, and had drank too many cocktails. Incredibly drunk and walking home they suddenly realized they both needed to pee. They were near a graveyard and one of them suggested they do their business behind a headstone. The first woman had nothing to wipe with so she took off her panties, used them and threw them away. Her friend however was wearing an expensive underwear set and didn't want to ruin hers, but was lucky enough to salvage a large ribbon from a wreath that was on a grave and proceeded to wipe herself with it. After finishing, they made their way home.
The next day the first woman's husband phones the other husband and said, "These damn girls nights out have got to stop. My wife came home last night without her panties." "That's nothing," said the other. "Mine came back with a sympathy card stuck between the cheeks of her butt that said, 'From all of us at the Fire Station, Well never forget you!'
lmao at these jokes! soo funny....
ok ok, i gots one, too-
close your eyes....
[are they closed??????]
dark, isn't it....
bwahahahahahaha
c
Wow, I felt your agony as I read your words. I am so sorry it happened to you and your doggies but I am happy that they are alright! Reminds me of the last time I saw my doggie - no leash, except he never came back. You are so lucky and I am sure they are happy to be home now. A big sigh of relief for you girlie!
will you be eating that green egg with ham?
Oh, I'm so sorry, that much adrenaline and worry is a lot to handle! I hope you can get a good night's sleep tonight to clear your mind and heart.
I've never ever seen nor heard of a mint egg, wow! That's realy beautiful.
I read past through your blog to catch up, you have had a lot going on! I missed so much! I'm sorry you had to miss your party, hope you were able to make that up. I love those socks and skirt, but I am a sucker for school girl clothes. Your 40 is looking great!
You poor thing! I can just feel your pain. That little chicken knew you needed that egg. Sorry I don't have a joke for you!!!
TD, I felt your deep deep pain as I read your blog, I can't even imagine. Our love for our pups is so hard for those without to understand. I am so so glad they found their way home. Please don't beat yourself up!! Have a wonderful evening with them, bathing and spoiling them. I'm so happy they are safe and sound (little rascals)
I can imagine the fear that you would have had and the wild thoughts going through your mind.
That's a nice big egg you got there. Ok....
An old man was sitting on a bench at the mall. A young man walked up to the bench and sat down. He had spiked hair in all different colors: green, red, pink, blue, yellow, purple.
The old man just stared. The young man said, "What's the matter old timer, never done anything wild in your life?
The old man replied, "Got drunk once and had sex with a peacock. I was just wondering if you were my son ! "
God only gives you what you can handle?
*hugs*
I'm glad you survived. And I'm glad you got your doggies back. And you can't control everything. It's not your fault. Dogs do what dogs do, and sometimes, it doesn't matter how prepared we are or aren't.
*more hugs*
Thank you for the laughs and smiles, peeps! You are all really super awesome :-D
I'm passing a few of those jokes around, he he!
But not to the doggies, those little rat bastids of my heart.
That's a lot of stress to go through in a day. I am so sorry, there's nothing worse than worrying about puppehs.
That egg, though is beautiful. And definitely your reward.
Post a Comment