For the first time of my life, I held in my hands this afternoon a day-old chick! Well two that are a day old, and three that are two days old :-D
They. Are. TINY!
And soooo soft! Wow!
We now have five babies in the garage brooder with mama hen who tried so hard to hatch some eggs, the poor thing, I thought it best to get her some chicks and have her raise them instead. I'm lucky that one of my "chicken friends" just hatched some babies via incubator and was willing to part with them - whew, awesome timing!
I just hope that mother nature stamped instructions on her brain because she seemed very willing but a bit bewildered, taking some under her wing to keep them warm but watching others stumble around peeping madly for help but doing nothing but clucking - I know she's gonna be a good mama but am still worried that one certain chick won't make it through the night, he seems weaker than the others and his eyes aren't open which is strange. Of course it's my favorite chick. Sigh. We'll see what tomorrow morning brings, if the cold humid garage wins over the heated, padded brooder box.
Yes, I will take pics tomorrow - how could I not? ;-)
Nothing much else new... Still have the lurgy and can't breathe or sleep (headcolds suck!), the post-op pain has diminished a lot but you should see the bruise spilling beyond the bandage (!), our contractor spent the morning here fixing up a bunch of stuff so that the house looks pretty swell for the Saturday showing.
Please send us all the good vibes you can spare - we need to sell this place asap!!
Woooo!
Damn, I'm worried about those newborn chicks. I might have to get dressed and trudge out to the garage to ease my fears...
Apologies for the dull post, my head's full of snot - blame Vegas for that.
/end of Dying For A Shot Of Dristan post/
11 comments:
Never dull. I'm happy you found some babies and some happiness. :D
Ooh I am so excited for pictures. I cannot wait to meet the new little fluffls.
New babies? I hope the mama can take good care of them...they need her.
I can't wait for pictures...and when are we naming them? My favoritest part is their names. :)
Feel better friend!
Oh congrats to you!!! Chickies! Cant wait to see the pics!
Ooooh Congrats on the babies! I can't wait to see some pictures!!!
Aww, they sound soo cute!! Nuttin like soft furries! And it figures the struggling chick is your favorite! Name him Wilbur!!!
Lots of good luck for selling the house. And hope the chickies are doing well this morning.
Happy Thursday.
they are seriously cute :)
You've got maternal instinct coming out all over you. Take good care of them chicks.
They sound really cute, how exciting. Yes, please go and check on them.
Prin, you should come see the baaabies! Soon, cuz they grow up too fast...
Katie, I posted a video!
Busy Bee, yes Blossom is an excellent surrogate mom - she's been wanting babies for a long time now! You'll have to help me name them...
Daring, pics are up!
Sweet T, I even put up a video :)
Kathryn, everyone is doing great, so happy!
Vegas, they are, innit?
Roshan, I know eh? Only if it has fur or feathers though :-o
Just Breathe, I wish they could be in the house... sigh.
Good luck showing the house. BTW, if it sells, where are you guys going to move?
Post a Comment