I'm in a really good mood today, just like that - for no real reason. It's still gray and wet outside, Vegas has been gone for almost a week and is only home in four days, the coop is under anarchy and my roo Sunshine started another cold but hey! I feel great, everything is under control.
Maybe it was the hot bubble bath at 10am... such a treat. I should do that more often, eh? So relaxing! :-D
Right now I'm sipping a hot apple spice tea and watching old Seinfeld episodes, it's awesome! Oh, how I miss that show... Just getting ready to take the dogs out for a nice long walk in the woods to round up the afternoon. Woo!
I've had an icky flashback from my old life whirling around my brain for a little while... I think it's because Vegas is traveling so much and I appreciate how rough it is for him as well as for myself, when he comes home I want it to be as welcoming as possible so he knows how much he is loved and was missed - you know?
Well this one time, when I was with my ex (about two years into the relationship) I had been working my ass off at a trade show for a week, was exhausted and ill and had flown home on the redeye from the west coast - not a direct flight, either - oh, I was just sooo happy to finally come home, it was Saturday morning and I couldn't wait to relax, have a hot breakfast and sleep!
Nobody was waiting for me at the airport, so I took a taxi home.
And walked into a stinking nightmare of a pig stye. My place, that I had lived in and decorated and nutured for years, had been trashed. The ex had just woken up (it was 9am, people), he hadn't showered or shaved in days. The stuffy apartment reeked of stale, horrible things. The bedroom was littered with dirty clothes strewn everywhere, the bedsheets oily and smelly. The living room looked like a bomb had hit. The kitchen garbage was over-flowing, the sink piled high with dirty dishes, the fridge was empty and the floor sticky with gunk. The toilet hadn't been flushed and there was a fresh puddle of dog shit on the guest room floor. The dogs' water bowl was empty.
The worst part? I had a total breakdown, there was a fight, he packed his bags and left for three days. Never answered his phone or returned emails. Yep. He stuck me with cleaning up his giant mess as well as taking care of the dogs, buying groceries and doing the laundry before I could fall into bed on clean sheets.
I caught bronchitis because of this and was terribly ill for a month, lost hearing in one ear for six weeks.
OK I lied about the worst part... the worst part is that I took him back, I begged for him to come back. That, my dear friends, is the lowest form of self-loathing imaginable. You think it's love so you wipe it under the carpet, you excuse it away - it's not his fault, he can't help it, you're too demanding, it was an accident.
Bullshit.
I could kick myself for not knowing any better, for putting myself last like that - sigh.
Sooo glad it's all over now, you've no idea. Life now is paradise, it's real and it's really, really awesome. I'm loved and appreciated and valued and respected, and it's a very mutual feeling. I still don't know how I got so lucky to marry the best man in the world, but I sure am enjoying every minute of it :-)
Anyways. Just wanted to get that icky flashback out of my head so that the day is sunny again!
On a parting note, I went to get three new pretty ladies yesterday! Here they are below, let's hope they give us some babies and lots of pretty eggs! Woo! More on them later.
Happy rest of weekend, everyone!
/end of Happy Is As Happy Does post/

14 comments:
I am so sorry about the past and am so happy that is behind you. It is amazing what we can put up with when we don't know any better.
Love the new additions. Glad your happy. So if your selling your place do you have somewhere to go and where will your hens go?
Gawd. We should both favorite this post to remind us what kind of life self-loathing creates.
*hugs* & *high fives*
Great idea for a hot bath on the weekends - so relaxing! Oh and I bet we could go toe-to-toe forever sharing icky memories from our past. But so glad you have Vegas and your life now. Now no more bad memories. Focus on that delicious tea and when Vegas comes home! (Oh, and those beautiful eggs you seem to have hatching over there!)
yay me! :D
Vegas is now in Vegas - glad to be on the last stretch of the trip...
Glad you're happy. La x
Holly?
That is quite the bad flashback. We have all done stupid things in our lives. But the good thing is you learned from it. You won't make the same mistake again.
You are married to a wonderful guy and he is lucky to have you as well!!!
I am smiling because you are in a good mood.
Thanks.
Suz
Oh, and Seinfeld rocks.
Just Breathe, yes indeed it is amazing... and a good thing it's in the past! After we sell the house we will find another one where we can bring all the chickens and the dogs :)
Prin, dang right. Twice!
Daring, we're survivors! Woo!
Vegas, happiness is contagious - are you smiling yet? :) xoxoxo
Busy Bee, yeah she just looks like a plump holiday bird! LOL! And yes, glad those horrible mistakes are the past now. Whew!
im so sorry someone treated you badly and glad you have decided you are worth way more than that!
shit gets into our heads somehow, and we believe untrue things because there are no other good thoughts to replace the lies.
yes you have learned. and paid the price.
and now have the love, respect, and happiness you always deserved.
we can be our own worst enemy, yet we are also our own best advocate too. the choice is ours once we realize this.
lovely pretty new birdies!
cant wait to see the new palce you will live. any more news from the perspectives who saw your house last week?
whats takin them so firkin loooooooong....
c
Mina is the name of one of dads old cats name but he got rid of them :(
Thank you for sharing, I know it is hard to do that, but doesn't it feel that much better when you get it out? I always feel that if I don't get it out, write it down, then it keeps just popping up. As I was reading your story my heart started to race, I think I stopped breathing for a sec and my stomach just started hurting, it brought me back to a time I try to forget too often. I am so glad things are so good now and you would have never been able to appreciate it all without experiencing what you did. Hoping you have a wonderful week!
Hmmm, that description sounded like the way my college roommates used to live. By the end of the term our apartment was nicely decorated in mold and mildew and everyone was sick all the time.
C, I guess we need the lows to appreciate the highs, right? Happy to finally be out of the ditch!
Farley, Mina is such a pretty name though, isn't it? :)
Piper, you are also in a much better place now - isn't it awesome?
Frank, I'm doing my best to not let others make me ill! *shakes fist at dirty morons*
yes mina is a gorgeous name and i hope the one that got hurt is ok xxxx
It's our past that we learn from. But, of course, we don't relish in knowing those things happen. I'm sorry that it happened, but it is part of your journey to your now wonderful life.
The past is exactly that, the flashbacks will pass. Keep watching Seinfeld . . . the old episodes will keep you laughing.
Farley, Angel is still alive, she is doing well for now BUT in a day or two it might happen again so I'm very, very nervous... please say a prayer for her!
Kathryn, I don't regret the past, it makes us who we are today. That doesn't mean it's dead and buried, sometimes it burps up from nowhere and you realize you haven't completely digested it yet. Hey, we're cows! LOL!
Post a Comment