Wednesday, June 27, 2007

You are issued ONE life

...I've been stumbling on a few excellent quotes lately that have got my brain in gear.. here are two of my favorites:

"Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem to be more afraid of life than death" James F. Bymes

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

As content as I am with my life, I am feeling the pressing need to grow, to move these heavy limbs, to break out from the comforting routine and just... live. I don't know where, how, why or when - is it the approaching big 4-0? A midlife crisis? Jeez I've been in this city for 16 years now, I feel like screaming sometimes. Sure I love the familiarity and the security, it's what keeps me down and grounded, it's why I'm still here.

Sigh. I just feel like somehow, life is passing me by and every year, every month, every day is precious time wasted. Sure the grass always seems greener elsewhere, I have no illusions. Half of me feels I should just shut up and be content with this life, there's nothing wrong with it. The other half of me, which is becoming louder and louder, wants me to wake the hell up and DO something with my life, stop mucking around and shed those doubts, that fear, that cloak of "I can't do it". Fear... it's so paralyzing. If only I weren't so damn rational and cautious. Who knows what could happen.

1 comment:

Smiler said...

who knows indeed...

nudge nudge and a ;-)