Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Rejuvenation

Pretty amazing what a good night's sleep will do if it's preceeded by red wine, good food and the presence of a parter who understands everything. Honestly, I don't know what I'd do without Vegas, who helps put things into perspective during the most troubling of times.

We have a Plan B of sorts in place now; no matter what happens at work we're a team and we will pull through. It's just a job, right?

Right.

*deep breath*

Today is for plowing through, keeping our chin up and all that bullshit. Prin, I might harass you a bit for survival entertainment :-D

This evening we have a "working dinner" of sorts at a trendy downtown restaurant, there's a tradeshow going on and, being sponsors, we get to mingle with clients, drink free booze and eat expensive italian food - yes, there are downsides to our job... LOL!

Dogsitter has the kids today so everyone's happy.

Breakfast is churning in my tummy, so starts the day's stress manglings. Crap! Deep breath, deep breath, it will pass. Don't think about losing your job and all those unpaid bills. Just don't.

Hey! Happy Hump Day, everyone!

/end of It Ain't Called Vegas For Nothing post/

15 comments:

prin said...

Oprah said, "If it's not going to be a problem in six months, then it's not a real problem."

I apply that to money. This particular financial bind at this particular moment will not be there in six months. Sure, it might be replaced by others, but we'll blow up those bridges when we get to them.

It's just money. You know? As long as you can eat, you're ok. And frankly, to eat, you don't even need money if you have friends.

So no worries. :)

Layoffs are like traffic- you have no control. All you can do is choose the best strategy to get through it, let go and see where the river's flow takes you.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Sage advice from Prin......I can't really add to that, but I'm happy that your spirits have been lifted.

Hang in there.

Technodoll said...

Thanks girls... spirits are in better form today, the sun shines warmly and tonight is happy debauchery - que sera sera and hey, closed door open window and all that jazz. S'all good :-)

Vegas said...

I get nervous whenever Im on a flight and it's about to land - I get tense and stressed. Then I tell myself "nothing I do can affect the outcome of this flight", and I relax.

We'll be fine. We've got friends and family and a good life - this is just work BS.

Technodoll said...

Yeah. I know. And life would quickly get dull without the chaos :-)

myself said...

I went through a few years of complete chaos and working all the hours god made (I told you about that), and you know what? We survive in the end, something happens to get us out of the mess we're in, through either hard work or fate, and on life goes.

Money is money. Post-marriage (due to marriage) I am the queen of begging for payment extensions, payment arrangements etc etc etc, we cope. And there will be another job if this one doesn't last.

BTW m'dear...not only does Vegas share the same name as my ex husband (speaking of him), but you share his birthdate. How odd.

KA said...

I've been meaning to ask -how did you actually find a dog sitter? just curious.

Technodoll said...

Myself, I promise neither of us has any association to your ex-husband, LOL! And about the money, it's just that at my age I'd like to be further in the game if that makes sense... I want to own my house by next summer. But no job or less-paying job = harder to make the dream come true, that's all...

Toughgirl, he's a friend that I met at the dog park a few years ago. Am very lucky to have him take my dogs while I work, he loves them :-)

myself said...

Ok, I know the dream of wanting to own a house (although I bought mine at 22, pragmatic, sensible 22 year old I was)....but all in time...things have a way of working themselves out, and this situation will too.

As much as you love the company, perhaps there's a better job waiting for you around the corner?

I don't worry about work, but I'm specialized in what I do, well known in my industry, and get headhunted regularly, luck of the job draw (or rather my obsession with planes at an early age - and my ability to be a total info sponge).

Perhaps you should start keeping your ears open, put out a few feelers....see what there is out there, that might make you feel a bit less uneasy.

Vegas said...

one of the things we have agreed on is that a mutual dependency on the same company isn't great - so even if we weather this storm, we need to protect ourselves from this sort of thing in the future...

myself said...

Totally Vegas, I know couples that were at Bombardier, at Air Canada, at Nortel, ended up losing alot....never have all the eggs in one basket (note to self to get Hot Coworker a job ELSEWHERE! hahahahahaha)

Technodoll said...

Time to get drunk tonight and partaaay the worries away! LOL!

myself said...

did someone say alcohol?????

:D

Technodoll said...

Just found out the dinner is at 7pm, am in a foul mood so prolly won't end up going. Too much hassle. I'm tired. Sigh.

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

Kudos to Vegas..he is so good for you!