Friday, September 12, 2008

Expanding waists and shrinking genes

I got this terrific ranty email from my sisterhood friend Curly yesterday, I just had to post it... got her permission to cut-n-paste so here goes:

Had a meeting at my daughter’s school this week. The principal spoke to the parents regarding all the foods that are banned in the school lunch program (all junk food and the usual food containing peanuts). The junky list has grown though to include Kraft Dinner, pogos, etc. She said it’s ok to have it once in a while, but not everyday as many kids were doing.

I fully support this b/c the school is reinforcing what I teach her. Junk food nights are a must and great treat, but they are not every night. And at birthday parties, anything goes.

ALL the parents protesting and complaining were FAT FAT FAT and have fat kids. Coincidence? I think not. I was humiliated for them, watching them yell and scream with the blubblery arms flapping in the wind and their double/triple chins shaking.

The principal (awesome lady) told them that the kids need to get out more, eat better and/or eat less. Also she repeated that study that came out that said for the first time ever, the next generation has a lower life expectancy than us (due directly to obesity).


And then you go read something like this shocking article and wonder WTF is going on. Half the world is starving to death and the other half is eating itself to death. Lovely.

*reaches for morning chocolate Yorkie*

Um, yeah. In other news, it's so awesome to have Vegas back at home. Jeebus he was only gone for three days and I nearly lost it. Wonder what next week's gonna be like... he's in Floriday for five days, work is ramping up like mad, I'll be alone to take care of the two furries and *drum roll* it's that-time-of-the-month.

Did somebody say booze? Yes? Cuz, I might need to get wrecked or blog like mad to get through it, pick your poison!

Anyways. Friday. Must finish pile o'work.

/end of Fat Fatter Fattest post/

25 comments:

myself said...

Ok. This is coming from someone that eats right, exercises her ass off, but still has a ways to go, and whose body naturally likes to be big.

BITE ME ALL YOU SKINNIES THAT CAN EAT JUNK WHILE I GAIN WEIGHT IF I TOUCH IT!!

That being said, we have to stop eating so much processed food, I believe that not buying food in it's natural form and producing dinner/lunch/brekkie from that has been our downfall.

Then again, I think 2 working parent households have been our biggest downfall - no time. I'm single and I have no time. I end up eating an egg/a raw veggie and yogurt, because it takes no prep time.

Dinner? what's dinner?

Technodoll said...

It takes no more time to prepare a healthy kid's lunch than a junk food one, that was the point of this post... people just don't know or just don't care anymore, since processed foods are so readily available.

Really. Get whole-wheat bread instead of white. Add lettuce to the sammich. Skip the twinkies, add some fruit and a granola bar. It's not rocket science, is what Curly meant.

Fat kids (from lack of exercise and malnutrition) = fat adults, lower life expectancy and increased burdens on the healthcare system (which is shakey as it is).

Overweight people who eat right and exercise are NOT included in this rant, since the effort is there.

But fat people who can barely walk, gorgeing on fast-food every day cuz they're too lazy to make better food choices? lame! MAKE the time... or die from heart-attacks.

Curly said...

It's not easy, but TD is right it's not rocket science either.

Myself, your egg and veg and yogourt is quick but healthy. Bet you feel better after eating that than you would if you had wolfed down two hotdogs, fries and a coke.

myself said...

Friend of mine used to say he needed to lose weight (he did) and that he felt like crap etc etc . What was his diet? Frozen meals. He's a shitty cook, so I offered if he paid me to make him good food, he could freeze meal sized portions and guess what? He lost all the extra weight.

Sooooooo simple.

And Curly I have to eat like that, I have blood pressure issues, bad stuff isn't an option on a regular basis and makes me feel like crap anyway. That and an allergy to yeast? No bread in my diet - unless it's that wet/bunchofgrainssmooshedtogether stuff you get in a small brick.

But yeah. I figure if you have kids you are supposed to take care of 'em no? I had overweight parents and I was never allowed to have crap. (ah genetics....the fight of the flab). When we were young tho it was also not as prevalent.

Technodoll said...

True, dat.

I grew up in the 70's and 80's, we never had junk in the house (now I know it's cuz we couldn't afford it) so it was a treat when we did have it, and not a staple of our diet.

Kids went outside to play, rain snow or shine. No xboxes and internet helped alot.

How times have changed!

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

Its all in the genes. Sucks, but some gain some dont. I was a stick my entire life. Now, I cant even look at a candy bar without seeing it on my thighs the next day!

myself said...

Yeah my parents couldn't afford it either - the "junk cereal" was at Christmas and Easter only, and when the box was gone it was gone, and my mother's version of junk cereal was the rice krispies with marshmallows in it. Chips etc were for parties, soft drinks the same.

And yeah, I used to live out doors in the snow. I've always been a slightly overweight girl my entire life - but in no way am I or have I been sedentary (except after a car accident but hey, learning to walk again at 21 sucks!) - and I think that's the key, the things kids do for fun now involve sitting - I congratulate the Wii people for making a video game that requires movement actually - that's the way we should be moving....
PS I'm shutting up now!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the rant. Now, I have a high metabolism and know that I'm fortunate. That said, I do watch what I eat for health reasons. And I walk everywhere now.

Some people have a more difficult time losing weight due to genetics. But it's not as many as people claim. (not saying that about anyone posting here, just a general comment) And it's definately not all genetics when someone weighs 400 lbs. Seriously.

I applaud the efforts of curly's school. I was only permitted soft drinks on Friday nights and candy/cake/cookies on special occasions. My mom did work after my brother was in school and she made sure we had healthy food. I know it's hard with two parents working, but I agree with you TD, it's small changes that make a big difference.

Curly said...

It isn't even really about body size, it's about proper nutrition.

I know some skinny people who eat junk all the time and never gain an ounce, but they are not healthy. Skinny people have heart attacks too.

Myself, does a yeast allergy mean NO BREAD??? Yikes!!

Also, we're the first generation of parents who have the deal with the Internet. Just limit the time like everything. Then send them out to play in the snow. But you have to make them hot chocolate with whipped cream when they come in, there's no getting around that one. You'll damage them for life if you do not give them that fond memory.

myself said...

Curly, pita bread, tortilla, that stuff I mentioned before (in Germany it's called knaekebrot - but I can't think of what it is here - they sell it at Metro in the "specialty" bread aisle - like a bunch of grains wet down and smooshed together in a small brick). It's not so much as allergy as an intolerance, think lactose intolerance, very uncomfy and I pay for it. I am not immune to french bread or rolls at a restaurant, but sleeping is optional after - so I basically stay away :(

Technodoll said...

Yep, the issue here is about parents not educating their kids as to what "healthy eating" is, so it's generations dooming future generations, if you know what I mean?

I applaud the school for trying to make a difference. So many don't give a crap and only exacerbate the problem by offering vending machines full of junk and fries n'hotdogs in the cafeteria for lunch.

Piper said...

I agree with most here. I try and want to eat healthier, but it is a choice I make. I remember being in 5th grade and they band coke. It wasn't a huge deal to me because my mom never let me have it, unless it was a special occasion. Kids need to learn how to eat healthy and need to make it a habit.

Technodoll said...

Exactly. And if the parents wont / can't / aren't teaching it, at least some schools are trying... as long as said parents stop trying to go against the system.

prin said...

Yeyyyyyy Cankles! Wooo!!! *cheers and stops suddenly to catch breath*

Technodoll said...

Cankles?!

myself said...

TD I can't believe you don't know what cankles are.

Ankles without definition from your calves.

= CANKLES!

Technodoll said...

Great. Seems like today I got the dumb! LOL!

prin said...

Calf + Ankle = Cankle. When two body parts fuse to become one, as per the pic.

I have cankles, but only because my solius (that's so not how you spell it) muscle (under the calf) is abnormally big. I hate them. Cankles should die.

Anyway, when is somebody gonna tell me what to eat? *takes another bite of chocolate*

myself said...

ooooooooo you chocolate eaters make me mad.

I want chocolate. Sad part is, today it would give gas to the migraine lurking behind my left eye.

*sip of water cuz that's all I got*

Curly said...

It helps too when the principal of the school is more concerned about proper nutrition and less worried about stepping on toes. Love that woman.

Anonymous said...

I can't even believe those parents were bitching! WTF! The school should have just did it and didn't tell their fat arses about it.

Glad you got Vegas back for now!

Technodoll said...

If only veggies tasted like fried chicken... LOL!

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

Swapping junk food for fruits, veges and quick healthy treats with whole grains and fibers is the way to go. Kinda like what parents on the Biggest Loser have to re-learn for themselves and finally teach their kids...

Technodoll said...

Exactly. If the parents don't know, how can they teach the kids?

Anonymous said...

Just another representation of what America is turning into, lol.