Monday, November 30, 2009

Whoops I did it again...

Yeah, yeah, laugh it up!

I spent three hours at the breeder's place yesterday and came home with two new girls... a little 2-month old dark brahma whom I named Paloma, she comes from show stock and will grow very big and should produce lots of lovely brown eggs by spring... Will post pics of her later when she has more feathers.
And then this beauty, Miss Coco Chanel:

Coco is a six-month old White Sultan, quite a rare breed and even more rare to see one of this caliber. She wasn't for sale but at the end of my visit, the breeder offered her to me as he could see how crazy passionate I am about chickens and knew she would be in a very good home. Egg production is slow and small so really, she's just for fun :-)

*pauses to stare outside at the wet slushy snow*

Yep, it's winter... was planning to take out the xmas lights to string around the house today but it's too cold, wet and miserable and besides, the stupid headache is nailing me to the couch so I'll stick to the bare minimum.

Cooking, baking, being a drugged-up house mom.

When's the proper time to decorate for the holidays, anyways? I'm thinking we should get our tree in the next ten days or so - is that too early?

Bah for protocols. I'll do it when I feel like it.

Ah yeah, the visit to my dad's is confirmed for Thursday - wooo! Exciting little adventure, I haven't been away on my own anywhere since, well, I don't remember. A bit reluctant to leave all these pets in Vegas' care as he's got work up the wazoo... He asked me to make a detailed "to do" list so he wouldn't forget anything - ha ha! That's like asking a pastry chef to please bake a cake :-D

Speaking of cakes, I'm off to make a batch of cranberry-blueberry bran muffins.

After another cup of coffee, of course.

Screw this weather!

/end of Flock Of 22 And Counting post/

18 comments:

Kathryn said...

Cranberry bran muffins, eh? Sounds good, even though I'm not a big fan of cranberry.

As for your Christmas decorations - do it when you want to do it! I've already seen plenty of Christmas decorations go up, before the turkey was even cooled! ;o)

And Miss Coco is too cute!

Anonymous said...

I love Coco! She's beautiful!

Busy Bee Suz said...

So exciting about your new girls. I liken your addiction to the girls like sending an alcholic to a liquor store. You have no self control. :)
Glad the visit to dad is on..Vegas can do it, don't let him fool you.
Suz

Technodoll said...

Kathryn, the muffins are absolutely delicious - go figure! Will definitely make them again... the xmas decorations can wait. Bah humbug!

Amri, thank you! I never even knew about this breed until yesterday!

Busy Bee, I figure life is short and you never know how long you have to do the things you love... I'm done with waiting cuz there is never a perfect time, you know? woo!

C said...

awwwwwwwwww she is beautiful that coco chanel and a lovely name for a lovely girl! you r so cute with your hens. i can honestly say you are the first hen owner i have ever known! it makes me smile.

how much snow did you get? we're still waiting.

you can decorate whenever you want- no rules for that.

c

Debby@Just Breathe said...

She is beautiful. I just love your
all of them, it really interests me that you raise them.

jaxjilmommy said...

Coco is a beauty!! I Love all your chickiesAs far as decorations, yeh they can wait. Muffins sound yum!!!!! Have a great time with your dad and take lots of pix

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

Wow - Miss Coco Chanel! I have never seen anything like her!

Hubby and I usually pull out Christmas decor the day after Thanksgiving on Black Friday - so I think you are safe to decorate anytime. Besides, you only have 24 days to enjoy the lights!

Kathryn said...

TD - glad the muffins came out well. Just had to tell you . . . I started with the xmas decorations last night. I wrapped our door. It's all covered with red wrapping paper and lots of bows. Unbelievably, it took me an hour to finish. And it still looks awkward around the locks and door handle. Ah well.

Tonya said...

What a gorgeous lady, and what an appropriate name! :)

C said...

http://johnandrewandersen.blogspot.com/?expref=next-blog

hey nicki, check out this site i came across, they also have chickens and i thought of you!

love,

c

Vegas said...

craziest looking chicken we've had so far - she's awesome though, and amazingly soft.

Yay chickens :)

Technodoll said...

C, isn't she something? :) We got a sprinkling of snow, which is melting already... what a mess! And oh the blog you sent is so cute, they have nice chickens!

Just Breathe, raising chickens is the BEST!

Jmom, will do - thanks!!

Daring, whatever we put up will stay there until mid-January, I'm too lazy... LOL!

Kathryn, we NEED a picture of that door! NEED!

Surfergrrl, thanks! I just popped in my head and voilà, it stuck tight :)

Stephanie said...

I had no idea those little creatures could be so beautiful!

(oh and somehow I keep missing your updates so I added you to my blogroll:) That fixes that!)

Rebecca Foster said...

That is quite a chicken! I love their names. Yay for pets.

Glad your trip is on, have a great time!

Kathryn said...

TD - A picture I can do. I will try and remember to snap one when I get home tonight.

myself said...

I'm scrooge, so asking me if it's too early for xmas crap is well...crazy, because xmas crap existing is bad enough, putting it up in all it's glory is absolutely mortifying for me....

Love that cherkin.

Technodoll said...

ModernMom, yey! Blogrolls and chickens rock :-D

Rebecca, they need good names, keeps it entertaining - he he!

Kathryn, giddy yes!

Myself, I took many years off from xmas cheer but now have a hubby who loooves the holiday, so I will indulge ;-)