See for yourself (it's really worth the look, LOL):
I love my babies :)
So I promised you a Life Update but I'm not quite ready to talk about it yet, still need to wait a day or two more... There's a LOT going on at the moment and I feel a bit disorganized - not my style.
We're blessed with a super mild and sunny autumn though, I'm enjoying as much time as possible outside while trying to balance it out with "work" and life's demands, not quite achieving what I want but I can only do so much. I feel time ticking like a bomb though, it's always a pressure that has to be dealt with and yeah, I'm not managing those deadlines like I should be.
Hmmmm.
On a different note, am kinda nervous about tomorrow morning since I'll then know if we get baby chicks or not...
Blossom, my white powder-puff silkie hen, has gone broody since Sunday afternoon and after much debate, we decided to let her sit on six eggs today.
WOOHOOO!
Silkies are notorious for being very broody (meaning they like to sit on eggs for 21 days until they hatch and then they make excellent mothers) but I never expected for it to happen to our girl, specially not so early! She only started laying 3 weeks ago, LOL!
First problem is, we can't leave her to sit on eggs in the nesting box since all the other hens crowd in there to lay every morning, we can't mix "food eggs" with "future chick eggs". Plus you need a quiet and safe area for chicks to be born so the other chickens don't kill the babies the minute they're hatched (yes, it's a big problem).
So I had to wait until dark and move her (and the eggs) to a sectioned-off part of the coop just now.
Second problem is, Blossom hates to be separated from the flock so as soon as daylight hits tomorrow morning, she will realize she's been moved and abandon the eggs in a frantic attempt to rejoin the others. I know her and can guarantee the scenario :(
But I had to try, who knows if a miracle happens but I'm not counting on it. If she fails the motherhood test I'll have to feed those six eggs to the dogs and count it as a learning experience... Blossom will still try to sit on eggs (and in empty nesting boxes since I collect the eggs every morning!) for days on end but eventually she will return to normal, until the next broody cycle begins.
Wow, do I ever ramble.
Just pouring out concerns, thanks for reading if you got this far.
Gotta make dinner (pork schnitzels n'stuff), mmmm!
/end of Why Isn't Life One Straight Line post/
11 comments:
Super cute video...my how you torture those puppys!! Love it.
Your girls are all so cute....I had no idea it was such a soap opera with the hatchings and laying and staying apart. So much work for you Mama Hen. :)
wow cute video! hey i just accidently clicked on your profile and saw your sign is the rooster! HOW FUNNY IS THAT you with all your chickies!
jus had to tease ya!
c
Those dogs looked like they wanted to eat those hens so badly, what a tease!
I hope everything is going alright for you, just stay strong, it will be alright :)
dante wants him some cherkins.
Love your area. Your dogs are so beautiful, love them! So these chicken, are they protected from the evils of night? They are so pretty. I collect rooster things and just love seeing yours.
The video is adorable. The pups are just trying and trying. ;o)
Hope all went well with the brooding hen - maybe she'll opt to hang out with the eggs.
Deep breaths, all will fall into place as it should.
Happy Wednesday.
Antoinette is quite the little tease, huh? :) Poor doggies.
Fun video! Hey - update whenever you are ready...thats the glory of a blog..its there when you are ready to read or type!
We all enjoyed your video. Pups are gorgeous and so are the chickies.
Busy Bee, the hens torture the dogs - I just watch :-D
C, that's freaking HILARIOUS, I had never noticed! ha ha ha!
Piper, the flock injects a great sense of humor in the doldrums... at least that :)
Myself, yep - but Maika is the absolute worst, she's just a killing machine - must be VERY careful!
JB, the flock is secure in their coop from from early dusk to mid-morning, all locked up - longer in the summertime, although it scares me as I don't know if they really ARE safe :-/
Kathryn, things are turning out OK despite the inital dramah... I think... we'll see mid-December!
Surfergrrl, yeah she has NO fear that one!
Daring, thanks for reminding me why I love blogging :)
Jmom, awe thanks! More to come...
Post a Comment