Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Oh bugger it

I've been tossing and turning in bed for an hour now, might as well get up, have a bowl of Alpha Bits, spell out "help meh" and eat it.

Coldest night it's been so far this autumn... -6C (21F) right now, a thick blanket of frost covering the ground and abject items. My poor chickens. Four new babies in the coop tonight, one of them a tiny, mostly-bald "rescue" that I pray will survive. She looks like she was plucked alive :(

Why I drive 3 hours to pay so much for birds in this condition, I'll never know.

Oh yes: I'm mad.

It's the only explanation.

With a bit of luck and a lot of TLC, they will grow into beautiful healthy hens that produce cool eggs next spring but it's always a crap shoot. Right now they need me and I'm there for them, no turning back.

I'm so tired.

Stupid aching muscles and racing mind.

What a week... One turmoil after another, one project ends and another begins, they collide and produce offspring that require strong teeth to chew on. I don't mean to be so mysterious, just some stuff going on right now that we're keeping quiet for now. And no, I'm not pregnant LOL! That's one nightmare I will luckily never have to deal with!

Does garlic keep people awake? We went out for Lebanese food tonight and I swear, the houseplants are wilting. I love the food, I just don't like tasting it for 12 hours you know?

Bah. I'll try again, count sheep or sumtin.

G'nite world.

/end of Is This What Darkness Looks Like? post/

11 comments:

Kathryn said...

You rescued a baby chick? That's awesome. Hope she fares well. Keep us updated.

Sounds like you have a lot going on at the moment. No wonder you have insomnia. When I'm in a situation like that, I have trouble sleeping as well. So, I try listening to one Miles Davis ("Blue In Green") on repeat. If that doesn't work - hot tea. If that doesn't work, I ask that someone please hit me with a two by four - just kidding. Kinda. Eventually the voices and thoughts stop running when I focus on my breathing and relaxing every muscle in my body starting with my head.

Hope you were able to catch some zzzz's.

Happy Hump Day.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Love that you take in the unperfect chickens. I know they will appreciate you. ;)
Hope you feel better and whatever is on your mind...works out for the best!!!

Vegas said...

when you said 'I fancy some Lebanese tonight' I completely misunderstood what you meant

Technodoll said...

Kathryn, I bought 4 pullets (young hens, more like bigger chicks) and two are quite ill, I took them because nobody else wanted them and they would have surely died... They just pulled on my too-limp heartstrings :( The sick ones are in the house, it never freaking ends. I must be mad! Wishing both of us some glorious sleep tonight... sending you good zzzz vibes! and no 2 x 4 LOL

Busy Bee, if they survive they better appreciate me, LOL! Sigh. So much work, yet so rewarding...

Vegas, no sharing! LOL

prin said...

Next time call meeeeee. I've been known to put many people to sleep with my abundant stories.

Sweet T said...

Have you contacted the vet to see if there is anything you can do to help those poor little chicks out?

Hope you have caught up on some sleep :)

Rebecca Foster said...

Aw, I'll be thinking good thoughts for your little chickie. Brrr, that's cold!

I hate those times I toss and turn. I eat cereal too when this happens! :) Hope you get a good night sleep tonight!

Tonya said...

awe you're a good mama. Those are your babies and you just want to take good care of them.

Yes, I have that kind of trouble with too much garlic too. A little is OK, and I certainly love it. I hate when you've had garlic and go to brush your teeth and it tastes like mint and garlic. blech. It just doesn't signal the body to have a good night's sleep.

Tonya said...

did you get my last comment? hmmmm

Frank said...

Good thing you're not pregnant.

Shouldn't you have grand kids at your age? :P

Technodoll said...

Surfergrrl, yep garlic n'toothpaste... and you taste it all nights... fun fun fun!

Frank, no. no, no. no.