Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What? Me worry?

If any of you read Mad Magazine (back in days when it actually was very clever and funny), you'll no doubt have pictured good ol'Alfred E. Neuman's toothy grin by now.
To wit:
Lordy. I can still smell and feel the pulp paper as I pored through each magazine at my grandparent's house, courtesy of my uncles collecting every issue. Then later when visiting my dad after The Divorce, he always had some laying around.

The folded back covers, the evil Spy Vs Spy, Snappy Answers To Stupid Questions, the side-margin comics... You sorta become friends with the writers, you know? I'm talking issues from the 70's and early 80's, the best ones.

I've been searching eBay to find vintage copies (from the 70's up to mid 80's, sold in lots) but have had no luck, I simply cannot afford such a folly in these tight times.

Oh well. I have my memories :)

Bulleted news:
  • Still working on my photography website and it's coming along well - yey!
  • My sick hen goes back to the coop tomorrow but today I noticed another girl that wasn't acting normal - oh lordy please let it just be a passing indigestion or something, I can't deal with more chickens in the house!
  • The bank that gave us the house mortgage sent us a beautiful houseplant today, LOL.
  • I had bananer pancakes with maple syrup for dinner :-D
I have five months to scrape enough money together for next spring's Big Demo Project. Yeah, it never stops and call me crazy but there are some things I just cannot deal with longer than necessary.

Vegas and I have decided to not sink any more funds into the existing crappy chicken coop as it's only bailing water out of a canoe ridden with holes. That thing should have been torn down decades ago, it's an eyesore and not suited for chickens in this cold humid climate.

Come spring, it gets torn down and hauled to the dump!

We also need to bulldoze the land to clear out all the junk we inherited with the property, it's OK in the summertime when all the foliage hides the crap but now? OMG!

Trailer trash and we aren't even near a trailer!

And then up goes a brand new coop with proper design, ventilation & construction, proper plumbing & electric wiring - no more of that scary rusty 1930's shit.

I'm going to have to book a lot of clients for photo sessions between now and then if I want to make this a reality... between the mortgage, taxes, debt repayment and living costs I can't even afford a haircut these days :-o

Ah well. Gotta keep on dreaming, right?

On that note: g'nite peeps!

/end of Don't Forget To Vote On The Poll post/

6 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Girl you are so busy. Wow. I didn't read MAD but I remember it well.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I vaguely remember Mad magazine. I don't think my parents bought magazines, aside from my Dad's playboy collection. Never ending projects huh? Yes, the joy of homeownership. I do hope your girls are not sick anymore...chickens in the house? and not for dinner, just silly.
Take care, Suz

Kathryn said...

Ahhh, MAD magazine. I LOVED spy v. spy. My parents never bought that mag for my brother and I so when we were at friends houses' we always were sure to be found with a MAD mag nearby.

Sounds like you have a lot going on, but being busy is a good thing. Projects never run short . . . our home projects are just on hold for now whilst we wait for our new couch.

Second straight day of rain here, UGH. I don't recall putting an order for continuous days of rain. Allegedly it's supposed to last til or through Saturday. *sigh*

Happy Thursday!

jo.irish.rose said...

hey technodoll!

thanks for sharing healing words with my sister, i appreciate all u gals that blog with her. she will definitely appreciate it! Jo

C said...

you'll get there, dearie! the fun is in the journey... remember? at least your frikkin arm isnt broken!
bwahahahaha
i used to drink in the mad mag from front page to the end. it kept me company!

thanks for the sweet messages you left.

chris

Technodoll said...

JB, if I slow down I will stop and rot, LOL!

Busy Bee, I think playboy was a staple in every single home way back when... sticky pages and all :-D

Kathryn, hopefully the weather has dried up for you? rain sucks... just drains happy brain waves, unless you busy yourself cooking and such. mmm cookies! and I found what i was looking for on Amazon, btw! woohooo!

Jo, I adore you gals!

C, you're up and on the net?? girl, focus on getting better, you! and look what I'm ordering, in case you get ideas for a ride down memory lane: http://www.amazon.com/Absolutely-MAD-Magazine-50-Years/dp/B000HKMQ64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1258166640&sr=8-1