Thursday, October 23, 2008

Jack is out of the box

I'm so freaking glad the long agonizing wait is over and we can talk about it now. The stress has been physically reducing me to a quivering mess and I'm on the verge of catching a massive cold - what immune system?!

For those in the 3D software business, details are on our website at softimage.com - have fun in the bloodbath. For everyone else, let's just say our amazing little renegade company has been acquired by its giant arch-nemesis, who now has quasi-monopoly over the market.

Brilliant, innit?

For over 22 years we've been at each other's throats and now that we have something they desperately want, they eat us. The community is freaking the hell out. Not good, not good, not good.

The only thing that matters in all of this is that Vegas keeps his job; we're starting on the immigration/green card process asap because if anything shitty happens - we're fucked, completely and utterly fucked.

Me, I'll land on my feet. It's status quo for everyone during the next few weeks until the acquisition is legally completed and then those who are being let go get their package and a golden handshake. Yey I get a package! Just need to find a new job at some point, a kickass one. I'm not settling for the first thing that comes along, I just can't.

Anyways. That was the news. Am losing my job after six years in my beloved company, whose just had its heart ripped out of its chest.

Alot of people were openly crying during this afternoon's meeting, some were in shock, many are still in denial and most are enraged and sickened. It's gonna be a long next few weeks, I'll tell you that much.

G'nite peeps.

/end of Goliath 1, David 0 post/

13 comments:

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

Whenever the universe closes a door, a window opens. The Greek call it a kairos moment...windows opening at just the right time in different moments in life paving the way for opportunity to come your way.

I am so sorry about your job. But mine is in the SAME situation right now and my department is cutting. Only downside is I dont get package and since my plan is to move west and quit anyway, I too will be looking for another job too.

Just make sure yours is kick-ass as you say. Life is too short to hate a job you go to everyday.

Good luck to you and glad the wait for news is over.

Brighten up sunshine...its a brand new day!

Lola Smiles said...

ugh, no fun. Keeping everything crossed everything works out for you and vegas. I'm sure it will.

oh, I worked at softimage approx. 13 yrs ago as a 'temp' in tech support...loved it! I was replacing someone on sick leave. Good times! :)
Just thought I'd throw that in there!~

Vegas said...

Hooray - now you have to do something you actually find engaging and interesting :)

Meanwhile, I shall become one of the borg. Braaaaaaainnns....

myself said...

Daniel Lanois is turning over in his....bed? Car? Ok he's loaded, does he care?

You'll be fine...I feels it...and phew on Vegas.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Sometimes. We need that push to make the changes our hearts so desperately desire.

Katie said...

That's so rough to see something you've put so much into go like that.

But I have absolute faith that you are going to land on your feet. You are so talented.

Studies show that people in your situation often find themselves being far more successful than they would have thought possible. I wish I could cite where I read that for you, but it's the truth.

Technodoll said...

Thanks everyone...

I'll know later today how well I fare in this time of transition and change, but I feel confident that this bump in the road is for the best.

I needed new scenery on my trip :-)

prin said...

Yey! Sometimes, a good boot in the arse is what we need to get our of our rut and find something amazing to do with ourselves...

(hugs)

Anonymous said...

Wow. I keep hearing this stuff. I'm so sorry!

Frank said...

:-(

I need a personal bacon chef. The pay isn't great but the hours are good. You interested? :P

voiceinmyhead said...

awww TD that blows. my company is doing layoffs as well.
you will land on your feet, refreshed and enlightened from having some time off.

Smiler said...

Here I am... always late to the party! It's very shocking news my dear. No wonder so many people are freaked out! It seems to me like you've been there forever. But you seem to be taking it in stride—so far. I'll read your more recent posts to see how you've been holding up.

Smiler said...

p.s. I'm sure that with all that experience under your belt, you CV should get you through some pretty interesting doors. Because yes, you deserve it.