Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I think it's pretty funny

So after the Canadian elections last night, things are pretty much exactly the same as they were before.

This is why I don't get involved.

Six weeks of annoying campaigning, millions of dollars sunk into politicking, endless debates and fist shaking in the air and for what? To give the population a chance to show it had no big issues with how the country was run since the last election?

Pass the popcorn :-D

/end of This Minute Has 47 Seconds post/

19 comments:

myself said...

I knew how it would turn out but my opinion is that if you don't do your civic duty and vote, ergo make your wishes known, then you have no complaining rights at all.

If everyone voted...who knows if the result would have been different? But no, typically complacent Canadians...lowest voter turnout ever. Yet I still heard non-voters bitching this morning and I told them to shut the f*ck up.

So there.

Hey. Quebec had a riding go NDP...that's some pretty major change. As minor as it may look.

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

My husband LOVES politics and reform, so if we lived in Canada -we'd be right in the mix of it all. However, right here in the US, we are in the middle of our own quandry of elections with our last debate tonight. The US has a LONG way to go on reform of so many issues that has made our country fall behind. Fingers crossed our new president will even be able to put a dent in fixing the damage our current one has led us through for 8 years! You my dear TD may not have it so bad up there as you think!

Technodoll said...

Myself, I never complain about who runs this country as I never notice any differences from year to year, really. Thing is, no matter who's driving there will be shit things going on and semi-good projects taking off. I'm just a temporary passenger along for the ride, so to speak :-)

Daring, if I was an American you bet your arse I would vote though. See, the states have a far vaster influence over world affairs than canada will ever have, so having a moronic war-monger at its helm is a very, very bad thing. How funny. Me, a canadian democrat... who doesn't care about home politics. Woo!

myself said...

Well Mr Harper aka the warmongering American wanna-be is dragging us to US depths....so that is to be feared.

As for the US, I hold absolutely no regard for the US people who vote LESS then we do...and time and time again get a decent Democrat president who creates change for the good...then they promptly bring in another Republican idiot that ruins it all. There was more time spent on whether Clinton boffed that chick then the good he did...and that is just so typical.

And the next pres will probably end up assassinated..so here's hoping his veep is a good 'un.

prin said...

I agree with Myself. (lol)

Only 60% turned out to vote this time, and the other apathetic 40% could have changed the entire election.

In a life of so little power, why not exert the little power you do have? That's what I don't get. It's not for nothing either. One of the parties (i.e. the one in power) can quite possibly ruin our country and unfortunately, their followers seem to be the only ones voting.

Technodoll said...

Myself, I think Harper fits in quite well with world politics... nobody takes a soft-heart seriously so if this is what Canada needs to stand up straighter, then he's doing a pretty good job I suppose.

Prin, as part of that 40% who did not vote: I'm not apathetic, I just like it the way it is and see no need for change. Perhaps alot of people feel the same way, eh?

As the results have just proven :-)

myself said...

Wait.

Did Prin say she agrees with me?

*blink blink*

And see I think Harper is doing a shite job....and this minority govt means that we'll have a second election at huge cost again soon.

And most people I've talked to thought their vote for another party wouldn't make a difference to incite change...so I don't think it was desire for the status quo.

prin said...

Techno, if you didn't want things to change, you should have voted for Harper.

The thing is, every vote gives the party around $1.75 for the next election, so every vote does really count. That was Jean Chretien's last legacy (which I love).

And the apathy comes from not voting. If you decide you don't want to vote for anybody, fine, but go spoil your ballot so you still count. :) It's not about who you vote for. It's about partaking in the democratic process.

Technodoll said...

You guys are almost making me feel bad for not voting.

Almost :-D

myself said...

well we're pretty damned lucky to be in a country in which we get to vote and it's not skewed by a dictatorship or some other type of corrupt government.

Technodoll said...

This reminds me of the guilt trip my mom laid on us when we were kids... "finish your plate! there are starving kids in africa who would give an arm for that food!"

I should have asked her to name one :-D

Vegas said...

60% voter turn out is pretty high. I've been in 3 countries now during election periods, and there are only two politicians I've ever seen that made me believe there would be good and positive change: Tony Blair and Barack Obama. In the UK a lot of us really believed that 'New' Labour would be a massive change, but it wasn't. The same corrupt politicians with their noses in the trough, the same twisted taxation laws that allow a billionaire to pay less tax then I was (i.e. none)- after a decade of 'New' Labour, the poverty gap is wider than when they started.

If I was in the US, I'd vote for Obama out of hope for change - but I wouldn't expect to see it. In Canada I didn't see anything to suggest any hope from any of the politicians - identikit politicians all promising something. I entirely understand voter apathy when confronted with that bunch - but I still believe that people should vote, even if it's for 'none of the above'.

Minority governments suck.

KA said...

If only our elections were so easy... but no. ours will be a big to do about it.

Technodoll said...

Vegas, good points... guess I should go next time and just spoil my ballot, as Prin suggested...

Toughgirl, if only the republicans don't cheat for a 3rd time in a row so the americans can actually end up with the gov'ment they voted for, eh?

Frank said...

I hope the American election doesn't turn out that way...*crosses fingers*

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

I'm with Frank, as usual, I have my fingers crossed about ours not turning out the same. I think I need to go start volunteering for them too! Sheez.....

Technodoll said...

Frank, WW: it would be nice to see a fair (ie: unmanipulated) turnout of events after a decade, that's for sure.,,

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

I agree with Vegas...I vote for change too and know it wont come overnight, but steps in the right direction is better than doing nothing at all and bickering about it later...

Technodoll said...

I really wonder if the democrats will get the steering wheel back, finally... *crosses fingers*