Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The coal in my stocking

There will be no chicks this Christmas.

My heart is broken and I'm choking back the tears... been looking forward to this moment for over a month now, poor mama hen has been sitting on two different clutches of eggs forever and there won't be a thing to show for it.

I know things happen for a reason, but this SUCKS.

And then last night I sat my fat ass on my new wireless mouse's usb stick that was plugged in my laptop, it snapped in half. I'm stuck using the finger pad thingie and that SUCKS too.

It looks like Sunshine, my only promising blue-egg layer who has been in the house on antibiotics for four days to heal a pneumonia, is a roo. That would put my total roo count to five, which SUCKS. Of course they all have a forever home here with us unless the racket becomes an eviction notice. I need more hens, this is ridiculous.

It's been snowing for 24 hours so today is for shoveling... The only nice thing about the new white covering is that it hides all the yellow pee stains so I guess it only half SUCKS.

The Christmas cookies I made last night (Vegas helped decorate) came out pretty nice, so there's at least that:

I also made a pan of Rocky Road, it came out tasty. Today is for finishing the butter tarts, cooking the ham and preparing the pasta salad. My brother's table is going to be pretty loaded with food on Friday!

Anyways. Not the best of days right now but I'll get over it.

Let's hear about your holiday plans and joyful moments, may happiness be shared and multiplied! I'll do my share in a bit, I promise :)

/end of Never Count Your Chickens Before They're Hatched post/

8 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

((HUGS))

prin said...

*hugs*

You're just starting, you know. You'll get the hang of the chicken things soon.

Good luck with the baking. :) Them cookies look tasty.

Merry Christmas, you.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Sorry about the eggs and the roos. On the brightside, your cookies look so sweet, they made my teeth hurt. :)
24 hours of snow? How do you do it??
Cooking today..making a huge pot of meat sauce for lasagna. Mexican cookies (yummy) and some italian bread in the bread maker.
Smile..you can do it.
Merry Christmas to you both. And the critters.
XOXO
suz

jaxjilmommy said...

I'm so sorry you are having such a crappy day. Baby Chickies will come when the time is right, you'll see. Cookies look great, have a nice Christmas TD!!

prin said...

What's this "half a butter tart" business up at the top? Half? How is that even possible? :D

Rebecca Foster said...

So sorry about the chicks. :(

Well those cookies look mouth watering! You do so much, just reading about what you do everyday makes me tired.

Merry Christmas, hope your brother's table survived the food onslaught. :)

Tonya said...

so sorry about the chicks! what happened? they were just chirping the other day?

Technodoll said...

Thanks everyone... I have to remember that things happen for a reason and just be grateful for the amazing flock I have now. Chicks will happen someday!