Thursday, December 17, 2009

I'm so cold and it's not even winter yet

What the HELL is wrong with this climate!

It pissed rain half the summer and now we're locked in a deep freeze that normally only happens in January or February, if at all - my chickens are freezing their tails off despite having a 175W heat lamp on in the coop 24/7 (super expensive to run), their water freezes within 30 minutes and so does any food I put down.

Now I just heard the stable's water pipes are frozen and we have one pissed-off renter on our hands. I insulated those pipes as per the hardware store's instructions and I can't do more, she wants us to buy a heater and blast it on the pipes about 10 hours a day - is she crazy?

She can take her horse elsewhere yesterday, with my blessing.

Never wanted her around in the first place, it was just as a favor to her and now it's a headache and a wallet drain.

It'll be a miracle if I don't lose any chickens, two are coughing wetly from the coop's humidity and high dust/ammonia factor (no fresh air circulation the past few days, it's too bleddy cold) and everybody's just plain miserable.

Please remind me why we live here again?

*cries*

On a happier note, I did get to dress up tonight for Vegas' office xmas party and had a lot of fun pretending to be a chic girly-girl for a few hours! We didn't stay long though (he felt ill, I think some of the snack food didn't go down well) but it was nice to see some familiar faces and chat for a bit.

I'll admit it was reeeaaally nice to come home and slip into warm soft jammies though :)

Time for bed, tomorrow is another day full of trials and tribulations, am bracing myself for bad news from the bank and bitchings from the horse tenant, store mobs, finger-numbing trips to the coop to try and apologize to a flock of freezing birds that I love with all my heart and can't warm up.

I just hate feeling helpless.

Fcuk this week of siberian crap!

/end of But What Can Ya Do? post/

8 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

I hate that it is so cold up there...I wish we could share a bit, some of my 'hot' for some of your 'cold.' I will be worried about the horse and your girls....really, can't you just whip up some sweaters for them? You are handy like that.
Take care, Suz

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

Hope Vegas feels better soon! Glad you had fun at the party regardless of how long you stayed. And yes, its COLD here too! But it IS winter isnt it?

Tonya said...

I think you and vegas should not only consider moving...but moving to somewhere warm...between the crazy weather and your migraines! geesh! awe, I hope the chickens stay warm!

Rebecca Foster said...

Poor chickies, I feel their pain. Hope it warms up soon! Ah, jammies, ain't nothing like 'em, eh?

Glad you had fun, though, I love going out for a night of dressy mcdresserson's. But also love coming home to the jamms.

Stay warm!

Curly said...

yes, feck this Siberia business. Seriously. We're both going to hell anyway, I'll save you a seat by the fire.

Frank said...

If you're already complaining about the weather...you're in for a long...long winter :(

Technodoll said...

Busy Bee, just a few degrees warmer and I'd be happy, you know? It's a struggle when it's so sunny and powdery outside but too cold to be able to enjoy it! grrr.

Daring, there is "winter" and there is "fcking cold winter", LOL!

Surfergrrl, the girls seem to be doing ok so far, they're tough! Me, not so much! :-o

Rebecca, I could spend my life in jammies! but society wouldn,t like me much then. Oh well!

Curly, yes please! I'll bring the suntan cream :-D

Frank, when your face gets frostbitten after less than 4 minutes of exposure to the cold, it's not winter anymore, it's just crap.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Goodbye to her....
I hope your chickens will be okay.
It sounds really cold. What else can you do for them? Glad the party went well. Sorry he got ill.
I will pray for normal temperatures for you and you chickens.