Thursday, July 17, 2008

Is it not true..?

"People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself.
But the self is not something one finds,
it is something one creates."
~Thomas Szasz, "Personal Conduct," The Second Sin, 1973

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOH. Good quote! I was just saying something to this effect to someone recently. Yourself and your life is what you make of it, not what happens.

prin said...

Um. Not sure I agree. *blushes*

How about "self is something you are"?

Technodoll said...

PrincessB, yep... it's a never-ending adventure!

Prin, of course everyone "is"... but how did they get there? ;-)

Vegas said...

I am my own creation, it took a lot of time and effort and continues apace.

Your "self" is what you believe it to be.

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

Great quote - makes one think. I believe we all have the "potential" and the "proclivity" to be a certain way because it comes natural - but whether we are free to become that person is sometimes not up to us but authority around us and our ability to fight for what we want to be...When you have freedom - you find all sorts of things - even yourself sometimes!

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...
This comment has been removed by the author.