Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Dammit!

One more week to wait... finally this morning was only for the consultation with the orthopedic vet (yep, confirmed diagnosis of torn cruciate ligaments) so the TPLO surgery will be next Tuesday, July 22nd. I lost a whole morning of work because of this - sigh.

In the meantime he's on anti-inflammatories and is only allowed short potty breaks, I got him a sling to help with the stairs and we'll just have to be patient...

The timing is really tight with our departure to LA on August 8th, but there is nothing else we can do. At least the melonhead will be in very skilled hands, he's a wonderful vet and I trust he will do a good job on my boy's knee.

Ha. I'll have a robo-dog after this! He he. Yep steel implants in his leg and all. For the cost, they should be gold-plated FFS.

Whew.

I don't know what I would do without my dogsitter friend, who will keep Dakotah for 3 weeks post-op so there are no stairs to tackle - what a life-saver.

Ok... Back to work before I get fired.

/end of I Am Losing My Mind post/

11 comments:

myself said...

Yikers. Well. That's faster than you expected, and at least he's going to do it.

Damn that cruciate ligament. Akitas have pretty straight knees eh? Cruciate is always a risk for straight legged dogs.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you found someone to watch after your doggie after surgery. That has got to be a load off. I meant to ask you, does he seem to be in any pain? How is he taking all this?

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

Dog sitters are angels and yours even more. Hope your dog heals well and fast, so while you are gone to LA - he's as close to normal when you get back.

Frank said...

WE CAN REBUILD HIM.

WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY.

...but we really don't want to spend that much.

prin said...

TPLO or TTA? (or whatever it was)

I'm glad you found a good vet. :)

Technodoll said...

Myself, Dakotah has perfect knees & angulation, perfect hips... it was just a dumb freaking accident, like tripping and falling down the stairs. sigh. but yes you are right, ill-bred akitas can have straight hind legs, my Maika is proof of that. Ugh.

Girl1218, I'm sooo grateful for my friend... holy cow. Yeah the boy is in pain when he tries to walk (lurches, more like it) but when he's laying down, which seems to be most of the time now, he seems ok. Very stoic.

Daring, this one is a giant angel! Me too, fingers crossed for a good recovery... gah.

Frank, I'm spending whatever it takes dagnabbit! Not that I ever wanted a robodog or anything...

Prin, TPLO in this case - he's just too big to trust with a TTA apparently :-s

Sian said...

Hope everything goes well

(hugs to you and a gentle pat for Melon head)

Anonymous said...

Aw, poor poochie!

Although having a robo-dog must have it's benefits

Technodoll said...

Sian, thank you... melonhead loooves head pats :-)

Elisabeth, such as setting off the metal detector at the airport? hmmm! LOL

Zedder said...

Poor guy, atleast now its known and the road to recovery can start.

Technodoll said...

Yeah... six more days until he goes under the knife and then start his path to healing. His leg is hurting him alot now :-(