Monday, July 14, 2008

F*ck!!!

Melonhead's knee ligaments are ruptured (one hind leg), he will need a TPLO surgery asap. Just as I had dreaded. Shit!!!

Most surgeons are on vacation right now, wtf are we supposed to do? Vegas and I are gone to LA for work in 3 weeks, who's going to take care of a giant dog who can't walk and is all stitched up? And where are we supposed to find the 3K for this operation?

Sigh. The only good news is that he is strong and healthy, his hips are great and his other leg is strong enough to support the weight *for now*. The longer we wait, the worse it will get though... hence the urgency.

I am waiting on two calls back from specialist vet surgeons this afternoon - gawd I hate this. Pins and needles.

My poor boy. I wish I could prevent all the pain that is coming next... I wish this accident had never happened. What an unnecessary, stupid waste. ARGGHH!

/end of Crying Mommy post/

10 comments:

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

I'll donate to the cause......

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

Oh wow. That's pretty serious girl. And your poor dog must be in such pain...

Nothing like a little stress to kick you into high gear.

You should put some sort of paypal on your sight to raise cash for the funds....

Sweet T said...

Oh no :( I kept hoping for that miracle for you guys :( Not much to say except hang in there ((hugs))

Technodoll said...

My goodness you are angels... but I could never take anyone's money for this. My responsibility has to lay somewhere... sigh.

Your moral support means the world to me - just the fact that you offered made my heart warm. Thank you!!

That's the thing about accidents: you never know when they will happen, if they happen. Otherwise I would have kept the credit card clear and free for this - potentially up to $3800 now + today's $400 bill.

Sigh. This girl's gonna tighten her belt starting this morning at 9am. No more unnecessary expenses, nada!!

Will post a doggy update tomorrow.

Dolce said...

I feel for you, honestly. My little girl has surgery once too (she would have died if we didn't) and while it costs a fortune, it's worth it. This may seem extreme, but my friends have an Akita who had the EXAXT same problem, torn knee ligaments. They went to a very good doctor and it's been repaired for years however they only spent $1,200 US dollars. I have to image you can find some one in Canada who wouldn't charge as much. And besides, the US dollar and Canadian currency are at a 1:1 ratio. Might be worth investigating a US vet if it's not too much trouble. Sounds like you and/or Vegas have been here a lot lately.

Curly said...

My dad is having knee surgery tomorrow too. He fell and broke his kneecap. But thank God it's not costing $3,800 - WTF????

Crying along with sisterhood...

myself said...

Having the 6 thousand dollar dog, I can sympathize. 3 grand each surgery, one year to the day from each other 2 days before Xmas! YEY!

This was my Dalmatian, incase you didn't know, bladder stones are common, in males it causes blockages requiring immediate surgery because they can't pee.

Are we having fun yet?

I'm emailing docs to you....

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. It'll be ok. I'm sending out good thoughts to you and your doggie.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry. Poor Melonhead. If I were there I'd watch after your big guy for sure. I hope all goes well and you find a capable surgeon. I know it will be work out for the best.

Technodoll said...

I took all your good wishes and caring vibes and hugged the melonhead... I hope he felt it.

He is still completely stoned and miserable from his sedation today (for the xrays), poor bugger.

I'm glad he has no clue what will happen to him tomorrow :-( Enough that I won't sleep a wink tonight. He needs to rest to recuperate some strength.