Thursday, May 27, 2010

Queen of the jungle

Not the urban jungle, the farm jungle!

OMG you have no idea how fast the grass, weeds, plants and flowers have grown the past few days - it's atrocious, there is no way to keep up!

When your four acre lawn is over a foot tall and looks like a sea of wild grasses and white dandelions, it's a bit discouraging.

And trashy trailer-parkish.

I think we need one of those grass-catcher bags for the lawn tractor, this is ridiculous. Mowing leaves endless thick trails of grass clippings that need to be raked up and thrown to the beasts (chickens and horses) for super snacking, or you end up with a green and brown zebra in your back yard - beyond fugly and also damaging to the grass under the brown crap.

Have you ever raked four acres by hand, filling up endless buckets of heavy grass clippings to be hauled to the fields?

I didn't think so.

I would only wish it on my worst enemies.

Not that I have many.

I only managed to mow half the lawn today, working on my tan and all. While raking for an hour afterwards, aka Back Breaking Work. And pushing the heavy hand mower over the difficult, hilly and twisty bits of lawn, which took about one and a half hours.

Who knew one could taste so salty? :-o

This was after I had hoovered this giant house, did laundry and washed the bed (king size! two duvets and lots of pillows! uggh!), started the new nesting box for the flock hut, tidied up the house and washed a crapload of dishes and let's not mention all that goes into the daily flock care...

But oh, I love them so :-)

After the lawn I gave the three dogs a full pedi and whisker trim (that's a lot of nails, people), brushed a big bag of fur off the two akitas and took them all for a long walk through the woods. Mosquitoes and all. Then fed the beasties and mopped up their mess.

And then... rewarded all this effort with a bowl of Kraft Dinner for... dinner.

Lame, or super lame?

I wish the maid, the gardener and the cook weren't all on vacation this week, it would give me a rest from the screaming mess that is my body now!

Let's not think about tomorrow, because it will be almost exactly the same as today as I only did half of everything... this place is just too enormous to get it all done in one go. Two goes. Three.

At this rate I should be all browned down and buffed up in a few weeks, woo! Who needs the gym and tanning salons?

Pfffssshhhht!

It's a good thing Vegas isn't home until tomorrow night, he doesn't need to see his wife so disheveled and stinky like this. Oooooo! Hot shower! Yeeesssssss!

After I go put the flock to bed for the night.

And make myself a hot chocolate to end this lovely day on a high note.

What, you didn't think I was complaining about all the work, did you?

I love my life :-)

/end of Green Goddess post/

6 comments:

prin said...

You're nuts.

As for clippings, with the manmow, I have to cut every 4 days now and when I do, the clippings just disappear. *shrug*

I remember the ol' push mower with the bag. Maaaan, I hated emptying that thing. Haaaaaated.

Not sure there's a more efficient way... It's all crap. :D

prin said...

(And don't forget to replenish your salts!)

Busy Bee Suz said...

I know you love it...and you would not have it any other way.
I have an idea for you: Goats.
They eat the heck out of grass. Full working lawn eaters.
Huh? Huh?
are you thinking about it???
Rest up. You are such a worker bee!!!

C said...

dear QuEEn, hey hey

i totally lol when i read suz's comment about goats but i totally agree with her. it sure would solve your problem and you could even get alpacas too and sell their fur?

a working farm you'd have!!!!!

i know you work your butt off and i can picture all the work as you write it... but at the end of the day i bet you are just knackered AND satisfied as only one gets from working the land.

i have a question... is your lawn mower also a mulcher? would it save you alot of raking work if it just mulched everything back in the ground?

ahhhhh, to live in canada.... and eat wonderful foods again. even as good a cook as diane and i are, we cant reproduce the d-lish gravy to put on our fries that i had as a girl in montreal... is there a special recipe or summit?

lemme know...

take care... get good rest..

c

Kathryn said...

Bettr you than me!! I don't think I'd want to be dealing with a lawn mower. But that's just me. :o)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is allot of nails! I need a nap just reading this. You must do something about gathering the grass, racking it is just too much work! Have a nice weekend.