Dante, our 10-mth old french mastiff (aka Flappy McLips) is on probation.
We just don't know if having him in the family is the right thing anymore, for him and for us. The akitas hardly play with him and even if he gets the same amount of exercise and attention as the other two, it's just not enough: he's bored and getting destructive and spends his time being yelled at for being a smelly idiot.
So Vegas has agreed to give him more attention as I already have my hands full. We'll see if extra one-on-one time (training and extra exercise, leashed walks) will help. There is no dog park around here so we can't bring him anywhere to get his crazy out. I'll ask our contractor to bring his pup around once in a while, that hyper dog wears Dante out in no time... Stinky also needs a bath once a month because of his B.O., that's on Vegas' to-do list.
I wasn't keen on getting a 3rd dog and I guess I resent having most of the dog care fall on my shoulders, it's not what I signed up for. I'm tired, it makes me cranky and annoyed and impatient, it's not fair on the furries.
So. Probation period and if things improve, Dante stays.
If not, we have to find him a super good forever home where he'll be paired with an active playmate and/or kids who will give him the attention he needs.
Whew.
I feel better for getting that off my chest.
And before you ask: yes I love the little bugger. I also love harmony in the family and am prioritizing everyone's happiness. Keeping a dog just because he's there is not always the right solution. Anyways... We'll see what happens, I'm not giving up on him yet.
In other news, we had another visit from the plumber this morning (third time...), they showed up almost two hours late - yey! - and still couldn't find the source of the stink. Next step: a $450 "smoke test" to find where the problem is, and that doesn't include taxes, part or extra man hours.
We're drained (no pun intended) and don't know what to do... Obviously the issue needs to get fixed as we cannot sell the house like this, but gaaaah! So damn frustrating! Why did this happen?? Effing Murphy. Sigh.
OK, the warm sun is shining, I have to finish the load of laundry, hoover the messy house and then tend to the flock and get some yard work done - sounds like a pretty good day to me!
I get my two ragdolls tomorrow - so happy!
Happy Tuesday, peeps!
What's large and green and sits in a corner on its own all day?
The Incredible Sulk.
9 comments:
I'm glad you guys came up with a plan to see how things develop. That's wonderful news.
Warm sun sounds delightful. I can't wait to have more warm sun.
Happy Tuesday.
I would so take him to amuse the weiners (I can see Dante taking out half my furniture as Bungee chases him around from kitchen to dining room to living room in circles - he loves playing with big dogs), however, you know my sitch....too many animals and no idea what/where/when/how at the moment!
He needs to get over his teen times. And truthfully? Get him neutered now. I know you want him to get big, but a little less testosterone will do wonders....trust.
Hi beautiful... did you try pouring water in the drain (we had that problem in our NEW HOME... the smell was in the powder room.... try pouring water (lots) turn the hose on and let it run for a while (assuming you have a garage and there is a drain in there).
good luck.
I HOPE IT WORKS OUT!!!!!!! I HOPE IT DOES I LOVE DANTE SOOO MUCH AND I RLLY WANT 2 SEE HIM IN THE SUMMER
I hope things work out for both Dante and the rest of the family. Some doggies just need more attention. Cocoa would LOOOOOVE to run with him for a while too.
Smoke test? What are the plumbers going to be smoking?
I hope all goes well on both fronts and with the new silkies!!!! Yay, more feathers.
Kathryn, spring seems to have arrived a month early here this year - wooHOOO! Soon your turn, soon!
Myself, his stink would just kill you. Glp! And yes we're discussing when he gets the big snip... I want to wait a bit longer to give his bones a chance to develop properly but we won't wait much longer. Sigh. Smelly idiot.
Daniela, yep we did the water drain tests a few times... and it's still a mystery! So frustrating, urk! :-o
Farley, yeah we hope it works out too... He's a lot of work but he brings life into the house, that's for sure!
Busy Bee, I think you have caaaalm boxers from what you say about them! You lucked out! LOL! and yes more feathers, oh dear lord!
oh goodness, problems. He is probably just in need of some training and I am sure a little snip would help too, but those both cost money! I think the teenage years of a dog are the hardest, so just keep up the patience!
Ah, poor Dante, I hope your regimen works. If not, it does sound like you have a good solution to put him with a family where everyone will be happier.
Good luck with the drain!
Well I'm hoping the Dante can stay, I love seeing his sweet face.
Enjoy your ragdolls! That smell but leave the building, I agree.
Post a Comment