Friday, August 17, 2007

I miss the sea

I'm not big on posting personal pics but wanted to feel inspired today... holding a special piece of seaglass I found on a beach walk ealier this summer, during a very memorable vacation... memorable as it was the end of an era, and the beginning of another. Unfamiliar terrain. So many questions, tentative answers, fears and doubts all carried on fragile wings. Still nostalgic, still feel the cool breeze on my cheeks but knowing that in order to get to another level, you often have to give up what you cherish the most - and that doesn't come without pain.

Why I love seaglass... every fragment is unique in its color, shape, smoothness, each carries its own story of years out to sea being carved into a gem by countless encounters with ice floes, rocky shores, crashing waves and caressing tides. You can only guess at the origin of each piece - did it travel from across sea, come from foreign land? Or is it a reminder of earlier times, a buried treasure from long ago? No matter... each discovery is magical and to be cherished forever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!,

As I can see you don't like posting personnal pics on your blog. But you should because you make lovely pictures ;)

Have a wonderfull day !!!

Technodoll said...

Why, thank you! *blushes* I'll post more eventually... :-)

Anonymous said...

TD, you are lovely, both inside & out!
Seaglass is one of my favorite things...altho we call it 'beach glass'. You are so very insightful. While I love my beautiful pieces of worn, colored glass, most found along the North Carolina coast, I have never thought about them in the thoughtful poetic way you have described.
Thank you for sharing...