Monday, February 2, 2009

What to do?

So that property we visited on Saturday... we went there wanting to hate it but left with the intention of making an offer.

Oh dear.

Land is very pretty, right size and location (if you ignore the decrepit titty bar next to the driveway entrance... which is supposed to disappear at some point).

The house size is OK, certainly big enough for the two of us. Dog kennel structure is decent and the place has the elusive, rare-as-a-hen's-teeth permit for keeping animals including dogs.

The house, though, needs serious TLC. Big stuff, like windows, kitchen, bathroom, floors, gravel on enormous driveway. I mean it's worn-down, fugly 1970's stuff - yeeechh!

So... We don't really know what to do. We'd need to sink practically all our cash on finishing the kennel and making it into what we need it to be before booking clients and start generating some revenue, so we'd be left with very little to do anything on the house itself.

Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly livable the way it is but you'd need to be blind not to go "yuck" every day. Why brown was such a popular colour in the seventies, I'll never know...

Anyways.

Dunno what to do. I want to make this step ahead and finally change my life around, but I'm afraid of the unknown. I have the real estate agent's offer here, all we need to do is sign it. But. Blah, not sure of anything anymore. It would help if we had more money available to renovate right away and not have to worry about paying bills... Like, what happens if we run out of cash halfway through kennel renovations? We're fucked!

But it is what it is.

*deep breath*

Time to get ready for another Monday, it's warm and sunny, I slept a shitty three hours and am completely shattered. What else is new...

/end of Crap! Crap! CRAP! post/

13 comments:

Curly said...

Oh dear. Know what you need? You need to have a day to get some friends together for a big cleaning. Assign tasks, it can be a fun day. And you won't believe what just some paint and new curtains can do to liven up a place. Fix it up bit by bit, you'll get there.

C'mon, bite the bullet, you can do it...

myself said...

Ok. Now I am in no way an expert, but when I bought my house, my real estate agent thought that my 21 year old self had already done this before.

So, the benefit of my experience.

The expensive stuff to replace are the following: doors/windows/foundation (I cannot stress this one enough, it's somewhere around 50-60 grand to lift a house and put in a new foundation)/roof/heating system

Is the structure of the building sound? the basics, don't look at the decorating, this is something yoiu can change later, or frankly immediately, cost of paint isn't much.

But foundation leaks, windows that leak heat, an ancient roof, an ancient heating system, these things are costly if you can't replace them immediately, and costly if you can.

That is all.

Tonya said...

oh wow, that's a tough decision. i try to listen to that inner voice. for something like that, if i have a major gut ache thinking about it, i'm not sure I would do it. But that's just me.

Dolce said...

This is just my interpretation of your post, but you didn't say anything good about the place except the size.

I have a tendancy to want things so badly, that I make myself like things I don't really like.

Sinking all your money into a kennel doesn't seem like the best move, especially when there are so many other important things to repair, remodel, and change.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

I totally picture this 80's cleaning montage when I imagine what this house looks like. Maybe do a pro's and con's list....write everything out.....

I also think that Myself gave some very good advice.

Frank said...

Does it come with shag carpeting?

You might want to keep that. For purposes of awesometasticness.

myself said...

awesometasticness...best word EVER!

Busy Bee Suz said...

can you have an inspection on the house itself? make sure the big things are ok, roof, structure etc....you can live w/ blinders if you make your dream kennel....the house can come later...get that dream going.
the titty bar? is it open? can vegas make some cash dancing?

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

No one can tell you what to do, but I trust you and Vegas will do the right thing...whatever will be will be...it will work out and to your delight. I will send positive vibes your way and dream with you..it will pan out - you'll see!

prin said...

You know, you worry more than I do.

Just thought I'd tell you that.

As a friend. ;)

Lola Smiles said...

did you get it inspected?

unless Vegas is a serious handyman and can do a lot of the work (but when?) - yeah, why not. Otherwise, it's a bitch to find a contractor to do the work or get it done. So, my honest opinion, don't do it. It will cost you more than you think.

Hang in there TD, something else will come along.

Katie said...

Oh no, I was so hoping that this would be the one that would make you excited and happy. It sounded so good on paper (web space?) before all the blechy brownness.

My best friend and her husband bought a house that needed serious TLC, they've sunk a lot of time and a lot of money and a lot of fights into making it livable. After watching them, I'm not sure I would be inclined to do the same.

Rebecca Foster said...

Stressful! You'll make the right decision for you, I'm sure of it.

You know living in China has been stressful for me, but one thing I've learned: we can live in much more undesirable circumstances than we thought possible. Especially when we are sacrificing for something we really want. Ugly is ugly, but you'll make it beautiful.

Good luck!