Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Because everyone needs a good story

Before reading this, please make sure to vote on the poll if you haven't already done so! Just because it's fun, mkay? ;-)

I thought I wanted to blog about the past days' events but I'm finding out that I don't have the heart for it. It's been tough, it will get tougher for the next few days and after that the sun will shine again (literally - we're drowning in rain for the next week!).

Rather, there's a little inspirational story I'd like to share with you all. I didn't write it but I wish I had...

Happy Tuesday, everyone.

********

One day, the father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the express purpose of showing him how poor people live.

They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family.

On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, “How was the trip?”

“It was great, Dad.”

“Did you see how poor people live?” the father asked.

“Oh yeah,” said the son.

“So, tell me, what did you learn from the trip?” asked the father.

The son answered: “I saw that we have one dog and they had four. We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end. We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night. Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon.

“We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond our sight.

“We have servants who serve us, but they serve others. We buy our food, but they grow theirs.

“We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends to protect them.”

The boy’s father was speechless.

Then his son added, “Thanks Dad for showing me how poor we are.”

5 comments:

Mike said...

Geez, i don't have walls or fields. And I only got one dog.

I'm REALLY poor!!

LOL

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is a great story. TD.
Hope all is well...
Suz

C said...

hahahha... great story and so true! but i am cornfused, is the boy being sarcastic or a spoiled brat?

Rebecca Foster said...

I really love that story.

Sorry to hear of all the emotional turmoil-- that's a lot of loss! Very sad. I hope things with Dante weren't too bad, but I fear maybe that is a big part of the loss.

*long distance hugs*

Debby@Just Breathe said...

((HUGS))
That was a sweet story, thank you for sharing it with me.