Tuesday, January 12, 2010

If you don't do it, who will?

Yesterday I placed a call with the local gov'ment's agricultural SPCA chapter to lodge a formal complaint against the creep who sold me four under-aged, sick chickens last November.

He's exploiting animals in dirty conditions and sells sick, suffering animals to unsuspecting people and that's just not acceptable.

If nobody says anything, what will make him change?

The gov'ment lady called me back this morning and she was brilliant.

We spent 20 minutes chatting, she got all the details and by law has to visit the place at some point during the next month, unannounced of course, and make recommendations to the guy depending on what she sees when she's there. Then she has to report back to me, the guy has an open file and if anyone else complains then he's in serious trouble.

It's all anonymous but I wouldn't care even if it wasn't.

Asshole.

I just wish there were laws in place that would slap such mill operators with a fine right then and there, that they would need paying permits with regular inspections to hold them in line, etc... But unfortunately this province runs with the bare minimum in animal protection rights, it's so sad.

At least I saved four birds, at least that.

If you witness a case of animal abuse, please don't sit there idle and think someone else will take care of it... To others, you are the "someone else". These creatures depend on us for their care, comfort and security. Be their voice, their strength, their hero.

It's all about karma, kindness and compassion.

/end of Breaking Heart post/

13 comments:

JeanMarie Kleppick said...

Good for you! Good for the critters! I don't think your particular province is unique. The state in which I live is one of the most notorious for puppy mill operations. I'm sure there is a lack of enforcement for all animals, including farm.
Your point is well taken. We each are that "someone else" and we need to take action.

myself said...

It takes a long time and the law is definitely *not* on our side (by our, I mean the SPCA), but frequently we are able to convince the owners of the "property" (all animals are property in Quebec, not living beings with rights), to surrender said property.

I hope they are able to do something in this case. They are serious people doing serious work, but unfortunately the government is behind in animal rights legislation here, and all our lobbying isn't working at this point, although there is something tabled with the QC government to increase the rights of animals (not sure if it relates to farm animals or domestic...).

Sigh. Now you know what I deal with when we do a seizure or a raid. It's so hard to see how these animals are treated.

Tonya said...

good for you for taking action! People who can hurt animals can just as easily hurt other people, I believe. I don't know how people can hurt poor, defenseless animals. Someone like that guy should be thrown in a cage with a Komodo dragon for five minutes.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I am so proud to know you!!!!!
I would have to speak up as well.

Linds told me that she wants to work for the SPCA one day and prosecute all the mean folks!

Technodoll said...

JeanMarie, I doubt animals are well protected in most parts of the world... :(

Myself, I don't know how you do it... seriously, it would break me.

Surfergrrl, it's all about money, you know? Animals = commodities, who cares if they suffer as long as it lines the pockets :(

Busy Bee, YAY for Linds! We need more of her!

myself said...

I get angry at humankind for 3 1/2 hours every weekend, last Saturday when I went to pick my foster rabbit up I yelled at a guy who was dropping off 2 older cats at the counter and giving the girl there a hard time because he wasn't a from a city serviced by the SPCA, but by Berger Blanc. I yelled at him on my way out that perhaps this problem could be solved by NOT wanting to dump his cats on us (however my language was not that nice).

I blow up at one person at least a weekend. They would usually be the ones dropping an animal off.

I loved the woman with the sick rabbit she didn't want to pay vet care for on the weekend "do you have room for another rabbit?". Um no, actually, I think we have 40, among other animals as well. We convinced her to take the poor thing and have it euthanized, it had pasteurella and was obviously very ill. We're not a euthanasia McDonalds...

And mostly, I just hate people. And cry.

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

Well done girlie! You did the only thing you could do. And I hope he is fined out of the wazoo! The justice scales swing a little more fair now!

lngrid said...

Go, Technodoll! Sic 'im!!! What you did is so wonderful, both in saving the birds and reporting the chicken mill owner. Would it be a good idea to post links to Phoenix and Sunshine's stories on BYC? That way, brand new readers could get clued in.

By the way, there's a wonderful animal sanctuary called Best Friends. You can find them at bestfriends.org. They've done things like save Michael Vick's fighting dogs, support and educate animal sanctuary workers in eastern Europe, rescue pets left behind after Hurricane Katrina and after the Israeli shelling of Lebanon, etc., etc. When I get down I like to browse through their site. They have a wonderful magazine, too. You remind me of them, Technodoll. Kindred spirits!

Rebecca Foster said...

Two thumbs up, Techno, and good on ya! If I ever run into a similar situation, I will follow your example and take action.

Lucky birds to have you on their side!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I am so proud of you. Animals should never be abused.

Stephanie said...

Oh good for you! It takes people like you to make this a world better place!

prin said...

Yey! Kick'n hiney!

Technodoll said...

Well it was only a phone call, the rest is out of my hands... So frustrating that there isn't more I can do. Stupid non-existent laws!