Saturday, January 16, 2010

The shy girls

As promised, a photo of my two new girls - Heritage Bronze turkeys:

Darla is the bigger girl, she's about three months old.
Loulou, her sister, is about two months old.

They're both very human-shy right now and I can't get anywhere near them but over time, hopefully, they will chill out and become the sweet, endearing pets everyone says turkeys can be. They get along super well with the chickens they are penned with and are very, very quiet so it's all good.

Come summer, they should be laying some mighty fine eggs! :-)

9 comments:

prin said...

Are they going to get all huge?

Technodoll said...

Only about 20 lbs or so... not as big as the toms, thank goodness!

Busy Bee Suz said...

They are lovely.
I want to get more critters just so I can name them. :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

They are so sweet. Can't wait to hear how they are when they befriend you.

Technodoll said...

Busy Bee, you got's the "hankering"? *grin*

Just Breathe, I'll be sure to post updates on the taming of the turkeys, LOL!

Foothills Poultry said...

Easiest way to tame them is with food. Find out what their favorite treat is. I would start with grapes.

~~Matt~~

Technodoll said...

So far they love all the treats I've put in the pen that they share with 7 other young chickens, they still are very wary of me though.

I'll give them a couple of weeks more to settle in before trying to really tame them...

*crossing fingers*

Anonymous said...

I love them, I never get sick of your chickie and now turkey stories. They are adorable little creatures

Technodoll said...

Jmom, whew! I sure have lots more in store ;-)

Lady B, I didn't hear you say that la la la la la!