~Another gunmetal grey week in store for us here, but it comes with really, really mild temps for this time of year so no complaints from me! Am happy when I don't have to hammer crusts of ice out of the water bowls in the coop, plus some snow is melting so maybe we'll have access to the woods in the back of our property again - woo!
I'm all about the woos.
~I have a big birthday in 10 days and it's freaking me out.
I never wanted to start another decade :(
~Do you know how easy it is to make meatloaf? Really! Cheap and delicious, too! My basic recipe, which I'm making for dinner tonight:
- Soak some plain oatmeal flakes in boiling water
- Add to ground meat in a big bowl (I use lean pork)
- Mix in bread crumbs (home-made is best), a couple eggs, some seasonings
- Dump in meatloaf pans, top with some cream of tomato soup straight from the can
- Bake in a hot oven until done
~I'm going to have to buy some new "production reds" from the feed store in a couple of months... The hens arrive almost ready to lay and they are from an "egg machine" laying line, which means they lay big brown eggs like crazy.
I hate doing this as I was hoping to take my flock in another direction (only purebreds) but so far the hens I got from breeders - both pure and mixed - only lay small pale eggs :( While the girls are gorgeous and I love them and will continue to add various breeds to the flock, I do need working hens that lay enough big dark eggs to help pay for everyone's food and care through egg sales.
Oh, the irony of life!
Are you sick and tired of reading about my chickens yet?
*blushes*
~I wonder how little I'll manage to do this weekend. Am a bit moody with not much mojo going on, the kind of haze that lures you to stuff your face with Burger King, stare at the walls in a daze and drink coffee to stay afloat. What chores? :-o
We'll see what happens...
/end of Gimme A Rainbow In My Head post/
12 comments:
Never tired of those chickens. I added them in my post today.
Yay for the house $$ stuff.
So, the housing market in Canada is all well? Our values have dropped by a gazillion percent!!
Good news on the house.
Love you chicken news.
Enjoy you age, you can't go back!
You lost me at "only lay small pale eggs". Your eggs are the same color as the brown eggs I buy usually... I don't git it.
Busy Bee, your post was EXCELLENT! thank you! The canadian housing market isn't too bad around where we live, so crossing fingers...
Just Breathe, most of the time I'm glad I can't go back but when it hurts to bend over to tie my shoe... :-o
Prin, take a look (egg on the left is what the new layers are popping out, versus what my production reds are laying): http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j129/technodoll/the%20girls/DSC_0005-1.jpg I am so not pleased!
Mmmm...I love me some meatloafs. My most loved of all loaves.
What are the brown ones you gave me then? I'm confused. :D
Frank, you know your loaves ;-)
Prin, I don't remember what I gave you, LOL! All sorts of shades??
Recipe sounds yummy. I never thought to use tomato soup or oatmeal. I'll have to try that. I generally use a packet of Lipton onion soup seasoning, ketchup, breadcrumbs and eggs.
Never tire of the chickadees!! :o)
I think once you hit 30 birthdays are less about celebration and more about reflection. That's what it felt like 3 years ago for me.
Meatloaf is something I've wanted to eat since I was like 9 and first heard about it on tv. Never got the chance.
No, they were mostly lightish brown.
Kathryn, it's my mom's old recipe... Love the oatmeal as it adds bulk and fiber plus it just disappears, you don't see or taste it. Lipton, mmm! If only it wasn't so salty!
Roshan, it's a good way to look at birthdays... Hmmm. Thanks for the insight. As for meatloaf, you should totally make one!
Prin, I remember there wasn't much choice at the time, yeah. Most girls lay darkish cream eggs, not the dark brown like commercial hens lay (btw eggs that are completely uniform in color all the time from all the hens? it's fake)
I've never made meatloaf before, because it seemed complicated. You made it sounds so easy! What spices do you use? I'd love to try it here in mini loaves I can put in my little toaster oven. Fun!
Post a Comment