Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Life, balancing itself out

Whew. Wouldn't it be nice for life to be calm, quiet and... empty, just for a day? One day of not having to get up to do flock and dog duties, one day of not worrying about anyone except myself, no chores or cleaning or talking or...

Sigh. Ain't gonna happen anytime soon so I better just not think about it.

Or maybe it's just the wet oppressive weather talking, I dunno.

I'm getting enough hours of sleep but the quality, meh. Not there. I feel tired all the time, achy bits and pieces, no gumption to cook hence not eating so well. And now snow, freezing temps and rain for the next two weeks. Kinda hard to swallow after so many days of early spring. That must explain my slump somewhat.

Anyhoo. Balance. Yeah.

The Bad: One of our favorite girls, a blue cochin pullet named Kiwi, hurt her leg about two weeks ago jumping out of a nesting box in the coop. She has been limping pretty badly, she was put in isolation with no change in her gait, so I put her back with her little gang in the coop about 4 days ago. Yesterday morning, her neck and most of her head had been plucked bare to the raw skin :-(

I drove to a vet the next town over in the afternoon, they're not supposed to treat chickens but I pleaded my case... They took two x-rays of her gimpy leg and the result is inconclusive - it's either permanent nerve damage or a slipped tendon, they don't know. No fracture in her leg or pelvis, no hip dislocation so that's good news.

Not sure what to do now, she can't mingle with the flock anymore as the law of nature is applied without mercy: the weak, the old and the wounded get dispatched. My heart is just broken for our poor gorgeous sweet girl. *cries*

The Good: Tyler finally came home yesterday! My little ragdoll roo, he's is soooo funny and sweet and has an enormous zest for life and a personality to match - instant love, I tell you! You should hear him crow, mutter and chatter - it's hilarious! Looks like my breeding plans are starting to firm up a bit, so that's good.

The Bad: The Black & Decker jigsaw I purchased two weeks ago broke yesterday afternoon, in the middle of a project. The dang blade keeps slipping out and I've no idea why. Of course I couldn't find the receipt to return it, either. Gaaah!

The Good: I called the 1-800 number that was listed on the instruction manual, detailed my problem and they are shipping me a free replacement, easy as pie! I have to say, I'm quite impressed with their customer service. Two thumbs up!

The Bad: Cold, soggy, snowy, freezing-rainy, slushy, freezing, grey and depressing weather scheduled for the next two weeks. I'm really, really fed up with this crap. My poor budding tulips!

The Good: Baby chicks are due to hatch tomorrow, if all goes well! That should keep me focused on happier things than the return of Mister Frosty-Go-Eff-Yourself. Please send all the good vibes you can muster for a healthy, successful hatch - I'm at the end of my nerves these days and cannot go through any more drama! Babies will be housed in the bathroom for a few days as the freezing temps could kill them in the garage brooder.

That's all she wrote for now, folks...

I asked the sales assistant in a book store where the self-help section was and she said if she told me it would defeat the purpose.

6 comments:

myself said...

*snort* on the little saying at the bottom, that's a good one!

Life. Ying and yang and all that bullshiz. Can it go away? Hoping that the leg fixes itself...really....

prin said...

Is it bad that it makes me chuckle a little that you're in the middle of nowhere, all alone and you still have endless drama to contend with? :D

I hope Kiwi heals up and your chicks hatch successfully. :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

My heart hurts for little Kiwi. Poor baby. I do hope you can nurse her back to good health and keep the others from injuring her leg, her head and her heart!!!!

Love those little jokes at the end, they always make me smile.

snow, rain, cold? bleh. That stinks.
Sending sunny days and rainbows your way. Watch for the mailman.

C said...

awwwww... so sad for kiwi... i dont know how you do it, hon... my heart couldnt handle all of that... i admire you for doing so..

frikkin frakkin weather sucks, dont it...

le maudit!

lose yourself in some good movies with a hot cuppa hot chocolate...

c'est what je va faire ce soir, aussi...

c

Stephanie said...

Oh that nasty grey weather always makes me feel kind of...blue?
Sending yuou happy healthy vibes for you and all your new babies on the way.
Hugs!

Technodoll said...

Myself, I have a feeling Kiwi might be stuck with a bum leg for a very long time... sigh. I just want her to be happy - bring on the warm sunshine so I can put her in a little outside pen!

Prin, some people can never hide from dramah. I guess I just have to embrace it :-D

Busy Bee, my eye's glued to that mailbox - hope you sent it express, there's a giant freezing cold wave on the way... :-o

C, the new chicks are a good distraction from the super crappy weather, thank goodness... Kiwi's bum leg isn't getting any better, I'm so sad for her. Sigh. I just want her to be happy, you know?

ModernMom, yep blue's the word... I can't imagine how it hits you after two weeks in the warm sun! :-o