Friday, August 1, 2008

Blabberdine - and a rant

I look pregnant in this dress when I sit all comfy on my office chair.

Ah well, I can't care about anyone's assumptions now, can I? Or I'll just stand up straight and they'll feel all silly for thinking nonsense. Or maybe just point to the uterus in the jar on my bookshelf... he he.

OK, I made that one up. I still dream about it though.

Melonhead's leg is healing very quickly and super well, I am so impressed and relieved... his moral is good although he so wants to come home (not for another 5 long weeks) - he's a trooper though and cooperates without asking for much more. I loves that boy. Will try to take a quick video of him this weekend, between the bouts of shitty rain.

On the "to do" list:

-Go see Dark Knight
-Buy new pants for Vegas cuz he ruined his new ones with bleach while killing off all the trash maggots this morning (eeeewwww)
-Get through the giant pile of ironing
-Groceries, house cleaning, laundry
-Try to get some green air at some point

Have that family corn boil out in the country tomorrow but bleh, again thunderstorms predicted for most of the day. Oh what a surprise.

So, this morning I showed Vegas the news article about that fuckhead "artist" from Costa Rica, named Guillermo Habacuc Vargas, who paid some streetkids to bring him a stray dog, tied him up in an art gallery and starved him to death in the name of "art". While people watched and did nothing.

Now, the controversy says that the emaciated dog escaped after a day (despite the numerous photos and videos available to show the contrary) and did not die, the gallery owner says the dog was fed and only tied up for a few hours at a time, etc etc.

Between you and me and the breadbox, I don't give a royal fuck about art critics and the fine line between "the dog didn't die in the gallery" and "the dog was fed a cookie" - the fact is some moron thought to do this, was allowed to do this, and nobody stopped him. Animals are nothing but objects and unfeeling, unliving creatures to be taken apart just for the hell of it. They have no rights.

Vegas may defend some arbitrary points such as "you are quick to assume the worst, it's a hoax, bla bla bla" but IMO, it isn't. And even if the dog's outcome is disputed... the whole disgusting thing did happen, it was documented, and it's burned in my brain forever - makes me ill.

People are shit.

So Vegas and I agreed to disagree and that was that. I still love him, we're allowed to see the world through different colors of glasses... as long as he continues to treat the furkids as beloved members of our family, it's OK.

~end rant~

Job review has been submitted to my boss and I eagerly await the dissection next Tuesday... and a nice pay raise. Cuz if it's not offered I will not only blow a gasket, I will fall apart :-(

/end of Happy Friday, Peeps! post/

33 comments:

myself said...

If you guys are now part of a larger corp, then you DESERVE a raise period paragraph, seeing as you've had nothing. Unlike me, I don't deserve one (I've only been here 7 months) and will probably get one. Where's the justice in that?

As for the dog as art, I hadn't heard of that, and I don't think I'll go looking, I'll just get mad and probably be more on your end of things then Vegas (no offense Vegas...just I am a die hard pro-animal activist to the point of having stolen someone's dog once....but you didn't hear that from me).

I hate people sometimes. But I love animals, even my evil little beastie.

prin said...

Even if this story is a hoax, it happens anyway. It happens for art, it happens because people are horrible, it happens because the laws suck. It happens.

(said the girl with the hopeless stray in her car)

Fingers crossed for your raise...

Vegas said...

I didn't think it had artistic merit either way. The artist had put biscuits on the wall that spelled the phrase 'you are what you eat' and then observed that nobody fed the dog, despite the fact that it was supposedly starving. I think this shows a few things:
1) installation artists are pretentious pricks, if you're that concerned about dog welfare, do something about it.
2) people who go to look at art installations are pricks - the fact that they thought it was ok to have a starving dog on display is risible.

My issue with the hysteria around the story is that there is no evidence that the dog died, nor that the dog was not fed. The artist and the gallery say the dog escaped after a day (I like to think someone let it go), and that the dog had been fed and was 'only' on display for three hours.

Being a pro-animal activist shouldn't predispose someone to believing what they want to believe. My point was (and is) - in the absence of any evidence to the contrary, I go with the statements of the gallery owner and the artist. I still think they're a pair of fuckwits, I just don't think they starved a dog to death as part of an art installation. It's just internet hysteria.

Technodoll said...

If they admitted to the dog dying, their place would be burnt down in less than two hours.

In that position, I would lie, too.

I'm just sayin'.

Vegas said...

"In the absence of any evidence to the contrary..."

Occam's razor etc

Technodoll said...

Easy enough to dispose of a dog's body and claim it ran away to avoid being lapidated.

That is Occam's razor.

Vegas said...

"I'm doing an art installation. Get me a starving stray dog - I'm going to put it on show in a gallery and watch it starve to death.... Yeah I'm there for a week so I need a dog that's 7 days from starving to death. It has to die on the 7th day otherwise it won't work out. I mean, a pile of biscuits next to a dead dog isn't really making quite the same statement.... or is it?...."

prin said...

"In the absence of any evidence to the contrary..."

i.e. ignorance is bliss?

Most people live their lives without ever seeing the animal abuse going on all around us. You have to have your eyes open to see the evidence.

Vegas said...

Occam's razor = simplest answer is probably the right one.

1. The dog ran away on the first day and was never seen again. A real shocker in a south american city.
2. The dog starved to death after exactly seven days on show, then they put the body in a plastic bag and threw it in a dumpster. The dog's death was timed to last the whole week, starvation being such a precise science and all (especially when monitored by an artist). They also paid off any eye-witnesses that saw the dog actually dead. And bought all the photos and videos of the dead dog.

Vegas said...

Prin - no. "In the absence of any evidence to the contrary" means there is nothing that suggests otherwise, other than some people's personal beliefs about the world.

I try to work on facts rather than personal bias - the only thing that has been confirmed is that a stray dog was taken and put on display in a gallery, and then never seen again. The owner and artist say it was fed and that it ran away. There is nothing that proves otherwise, so how can you assume the story is true? Cos it's on the internet? Lolz.

Technodoll said...

Nobody said anything about the dog being on display for a whole week... specially since the gallery folks say he ran away after one day (smart dog?).

He could have died at any point from renal failure, dehydration, a cardiac arrest - all health issues tied to starvation.

That, to me, is the simplest answer.

prin said...

What I'm saying, Vegas, is that regardless of the truth of this story, the emotional reaction people get about it is not wasted because this stuff IS happening all the time, all around us to other dogs.

Who cares if one story of animal abuse is 78% true when there are hundreds of thousands of other animals whose story abuse is 100% true?

Technodoll said...

And that was exactly my point.

People suck.

Vegas said...

it's an emotional assumption about a particular case, and of course it's wasted. "It sounds like it's true, cos people are horrible... I shall get righteously indignant over a _particular_ case to better reflect my general attitude towards people as a whole. Screw the truth, I want to feel validated"

Truth is not something to be discarded out of convenience for one's beliefs.

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

LOL...do you followed my "bleach on maggots to kill them" prescription huh? Sorry about his pants, but it works! :-)

Vegas said...

you would not have believed the sight this morning - we had sealed the bin lid thinking that would stop the maggots, but all it did was trap them all inside. I was slightly freaked out but had to do it - but could only face it if I had no bare skin. Unfortunately all of my pants are 'good', so splashing bleach on them in my frenzy wasn't the best plan.

Ah well. Live and let live (unles they're maggots).

Curly said...

OMG Vegas you had trash maggots on you? I'd have had a heart attack or a massive stroke. Maybe both. *shudder*

TD, never ever let this man go. Any man who clears trash maggots is a keeper.

What? Starving dogs? Artists? Hmmm. I looked up the rumour busters site. Status is undetermined: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/vargas.asp

prin said...

"Truth is not something to be discarded out of convenience for one's beliefs."

Exactly. And you don't seem to believe that this happens to innocent dogs every day and getting upset about it is the only way to stir people into action.

Unfortunately, the truth is that Quebec is a terrible place for dogs and other animals, regardless of what you believe, and if we don't do something, nobody will.

Hey, in the end, we agree! :P

Vegas said...

Prin - interesting assumptions about what I do or don't believe. Wrong, but interesting.

Anyway, I just had poutine so everything is awesome. I'm off my tits on carbs and fat.

Technodoll said...

Daring, the bleach-on-maggots trick is an old favorite... just wish they would sizzle when they writhe - DIE bastards, DIE!

Vegas... you're my hero!

Curly, he'll be around as long as he'll have meh... ;-)

OK everybody, poutine party and let's hold hands now!

Vegas said...

it's not so much the maggots that bother me, it's the smell. Actually, it's the maggots. And the smell. Yeurch.

I can feel my body shutting down in a futile attempt to stop the poutine entering my blood stream.

I need a nap.

Curly said...

Poutine solves all problems. It would create world peace. not sure about magggots though. *shudder again*

My friend is coming in from the UK next summer, she's never been to North America, should I introduce poutine? Will she love it or build a raft and wait for the right winds to drift her back home??

Vegas said...

force feed her poutine. She'll thank you later (after the Jerry Springer special)

myself said...

Oh what isn't there to love about poutine? The ingredients sound disgusting in theory and are oh.so.good in practise!

Technodoll said...

How this discussion veered from animal abuse and maggots to glorious poutine, I'll never know... but I like it :-)

prin said...

No, PETA was probably too busy euthanizing the animals people drop off at their HQ.

Sian said...

I married someone who argues in a very similar way to Vegas - logical. It annoys the hell out of me, especially when I know my man is right...

...and can I ask, what is poutine?

KA said...

Okay, dark night? It is totally worth watching.

As for garbage maggots, I have those too and they make me feel icky.

Frank said...

I wasn't aware Montreal was in the MIDDLE OF THE RAIN FOREST.

Does the sun ever come out there?

Technodoll said...

CD, they're all over it now, of course...

Prin, yep.

Sian, poutine is heaven... french fries with curd cheese and hot brown gravy. You need to taste it to understand :-D

Toughgirl, Dark Knight rocked :-D

Frank, the sun kept us company for half the day before it f*cked off again for the weekend... grrr.

Curly said...

I've never had garbage maggots. Where can I find these?? :)

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

LOL @ Curly's comment. Just stick some meat in the trash in the heat and leave for about a week..and tada! Maggots!

Curly said...

I hear they use maggots in medicine... or is that only leeches?

Just Me, while I've never had maggots in my trash, I did see a giant rat in my garbage by the curb one night last summer. To this day, I wish I could dump my garbage on my neighbour's lot on garbage night. I would if I thought I wouldn't get caught.