Tuesday, July 7, 2009

OMG it's for real!

He he. Of course the chickens are for the eggs only, there is NO way anybody is eating any of my pets! Now I have to get crackin' on how to raise those chicks (no pun intended).

Yep, they come home Sunday! And the coop has to be ready by then - aaaaaa!

There is apparently a shortage of egg hens this year, it's very difficult to find any - called three breeders and it's the same story: all sold out, people have scaled back production because of xyz, bla bla. Finally found some little ones for sale about an hour away, they're six weeks old so will only start laying in September but it's now or never.

So I chose now :-D

Wonder what it'll be like to drive home with four boxes of peepers, LOL! Two per box, I don't want to stress them out too much. Getting four white silkies and four black mixes (half barred plymouth rock and rhode island red) - what an adventure, eh?

I just hope I don't mess anything up.

*nervous*

Today was for banking and running errands (is six stores enough for ya? gaah), then gardening in the rain, hoovering and taking care of the doggies.

The furkids and I saw our first big deer scamper across the road on our evening walk, it was gorgeous and the dogs now have a new mission: find deer, kill deer. Some things never change.

Made burgers for dinner but the patties were nasty. Don't buy premade frozen crap. Cuz, it's crap. I'm 39 and still learning.

Lots of noises coming from downstairs... the contractor is here, Vegas is helping with the tiles. They have to lift a toilet and move a washer and dryer to finish the flooring.

Most Some days I'm glad I'm a woman!

I forgot to mention that my mom stayed over last weekend and we had a ball gardening! Ever since I can remember, I had dreamed of spending some time with her finger-deep in rich earth, weeding and planting and just soaking up her skills. It was magical and I can't wait to do it again some day! Maybe next visit she can teach me to sew... I mean I can make curtains but that's about it. Durr.

OK done blabbing, I need to unpack a box or two.

Still haven't found most of our dishes. :-o

/end of I'm A Happy Camper Full Of Bad Burger post/

12 comments:

myself said...

chickens. Hrmmm. Ok!

Busy Bee Suz said...

How exciting about the chickens!! Please explain to the doggies that the chick are NOT for them.
Glad things are moving along...so happy for you both!
Suz

Rebecca Foster said...

baby chicks are SO cute!

Do you have to get a rooster too?

/ignorant about chicken copulation.

Kathryn said...

That's so cool! Baby chicks. I can hear the lil peepin on your drive home.

Yes, frozen hamburger patties suck. I'm sure you already know this, but dice some mushrooms and onions to throw in with the chopped meat. Fresh garlic, too. Yummm. If you want to give it a little extra, throw in a dab of cream of mushroom soup.

Uh oh . . . furkids saw a deer, eh? Yeah, that'll get their drive up a bit. :o)

So happy to hear you're enjoying your new environment.

Happy Wednesday to you!

Tonya said...

I can't believe how fast everything is moving along.

Frank said...

So...no fried chicken?

*sigh*

I guess omelets will do...for now...

Technodoll said...

Myself, yep. Goin' all the way, baby!

Busy Bee, I doubt they'll understand so they will have to be kept awaaay from the chicks!

Rebecca, they're pretty fugly at this age (3 weeks old, give or take) but they'll get cuuute in no time! And no rooster needed, unless you want the eggs fertilized. Which I don't! LOL

Kathryn, from now on it's only fresh ground beef that I'll patty up myself, LOL! And yes, the additions make one taaasty burger... buuuurrrgeerrr. damn I'm hungry now.

Surfergirl, me neither! except the deck. we have no deck and it's been close to three weeks. *cries*

Frank, apparently chickens love to eat hard-boiled eggs :-o

Lady B, they'll be in their coop at night so they'll get up when I tell them to, ha ha!

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

That picture just plain scared me. I like chicken (since I am from the southern part of the US), but I like it cooked already or at least cleaned in the grocers freezer.

But overall, I am happy to see your progress from city life to something closer to your dream.

Hugs to you. So happy for you!

Katie said...

You'll be able to answer the question for us now:

Why did the chicken cross the road.

Hee hee. :)

Technodoll said...

Daring, that pic just had me in stitches so... I like to share the nut factor! LOL

Katie, that would be so it can get to the food. It's always about the food!

Zedder said...

Save your eggshells and crush them up and feed them back to the chickens, its great for strengthening the shells of future eggs ;)
Good luck come winter... They will survive just fine but general rule of thumb is one chicken per one square foot for body heat, but thats for barred rock layers, couldn't tell you about fancy ones.
I'd get a rooster, for some reason I liked my Farzle more than any of the hens I had. The cockadoodledooing really was relaxing since he did it all day long.

Have fun with them.

C said...

how fluffy comfy will it be to snuggle lil chickadees... aww i am jealous.

kiss some, for me.


c