So this morning I opened up the outside pen door but four hours later, Ginger and the two ninjas still hadn't ventured outside so I grabbed two of them (no mean feat!) and popped them outside.
All the while thinking my hens might be retarded :-o
It was pretty funny to see them rooted to one spot for about 15 minutes, not sure what the hell was going on, clucking and muttering!
Then the last ninja finally made her way out (chickens hate being left alone) and the group explored their new daytime quarters, had a ball scratching the earth and digging dirt baths, hunting for bugs and whatnot.
Funny how they always move as one, with Ginger in the middle more often than not. Must be a survival instinct thing? I'll have to look it up.Nugget of the day: It's unbelievable the amount of flies that gather around chicken shit :-o
At about 6pm I went over to shoo them inside for the night but lo and behold! They had already found their way inside the bunker and were all settled in - yey! Thems got chicken smarts! :-D
Now if they can only lay me some nice eggs in a month or so...
/end of Cluck Cluck post/

11 comments:
Your posts lately make me ridiculously happy. Everything looks so beautiful, you've done so much. It's just awesome.
lol @ the chickens in a box. That made my night. :D
wtf was going on with the box? stupid birds. We should let Maika in there.
Hehe - chicks in a box. Too funny. Love hearing about the chick-a-dees . . . Maybe they aren't ninja hens but a "gang". Sent by the weed boss?! (I know, I am getting way too much mileage out of that aren't I?)
Happy Wednesday!
This is so funny and interesting. I love learning about YOUR chickens...you can keep them since the have stinky fly attracting poop. :)
I think they like the shade.
Chickens are spazzy!!! lol! When do the eggs come?
Katie, awe shucks! thank you!
Prin, that box made their day I think. Today they wanted nothing to do with outside :-o
Vegas, that's just mean. Pfft.
Kathryn, the white silkies eat weeds like there's no tomorrow so I think the weed boss can kiss my butt :-D
Busy Bee, deep down you love chickens. Admit. LOL!
Curly, yeah it was pretty hot yesterday...
Surfergirl, hopefully in a month? Not sure yet... I can't wait!
My mother grew up with chickens and used to tell us stories about it. She even drew a little sketch of where she grew up and the chicken coup is on there. She also knew how to break their necks, pluck and cook them too. Needless to say, I never learned all that: I am a city girl.
But I did snicker a bit at the comment: Nugget of the day: It's unbelievable the amount of flies that gather around chicken shit ...
thats where they get that saying, sticking closer to someone like flies stick to shit...
Hang in there, pretty soon you wont notice it too much after a while..
Don't you need a rooster or something for the eggs?
See? You've only been a country gal for a few weeks and I'm already learning something :)
Post a Comment