Saturday, October 16, 2010

It was a dark and rainy night... again

It's been a strange autumn so far, a whole month of rain and clouds (September) and then a glorious week of warm sunshine early October, it looked like this the other day:


Same view from our back yard between two storms (September):


And then yesterday we got clobbered by the mofo of all storms, our land is completely flooded today (both creeks jumped their beds, one of them threatening to drown a portion of a chicken run) and if that giant tree in our front yard hadn't snapped two weeks ago it would have been a goner last night...


So you have to eat carbs when the weather's so grim, only when your fridge is half-empty you have to be creative with what you have. Turned out to be a rosé sauce with onions and garlic, tossed with shells:


Sprinkled with grated cheese and topped with de-crusted home-made sliced bread, brushed with garlic butter and then baked in a hot oven until crispy and bubbly:


It was pretty tasty :-)

Random photo of the messy kitchen island:


Antique bookshelf in the lounge/dining area,
I really have to start decorating and fixing up this place... someday.


I'm expecting sad news today, it won't be a surprise but it'll be heartbreaking anyways. Funny how life goes. Hug your loved ones today, life goes by way, way, way too fast.

/end of Weekending post/

6 comments:

C said...

your meal sounds yummy and i really miss that kind of french bread you show in your pan... the large slices... yummy.. my mom used to send our relatives across the border to chateauguay to get french foods and always bread... like dat.

i'm so sorry about your grandpere' mon amie. it is never easy at times like that.

try to have a good weekend anyway, snuggle up with your doggies....


moi

Debby@Just Breathe said...

The color of the tree line is outstanding. Dinner looks like it was delicious. So sorry about the sad news. ((HUGS))

Rebecca Foster said...

When I read shells at first I thought you meant eggshells. Haha, I'm an idiot. I'm assuming it was macaroni shells. Looks and sounds yuuummmmy.

Oh, I keep forgetting, I have a Chinese "cookbook" to send you, just some recipes the volunteers put together of our favorite dishes. I have one more to add and I'll send it along.

That storm sounds like it was something to experience! Glad you were safe inside.

prin said...

I hope you're ok. *hugs*

Keri said...

That meal actually sounded like it would be pretty good. I'll have to try that sometime.

Hope the news isn't as bad as you think. But it is true, you should tell the people that you love that you love them while you still can. I heard before, 'Give roses while they can still be enjoyed.'

Stephanie said...

Your meal sounds delish.
Sending you hugs for your sad news. It is always hard no matter how prepared you think you are...