Friday, February 5, 2010

Frozen in time

Days like these, it seems as if we're locked in a never-ending winter... We're in the middle of a long "(way) below average temperatures" spell and UGGHH, even the bright blinding sun can't compensate for the misery of cold, cold, cold.

I stood out in the garage chatting with our contractor for about 30 minutes and my feet are throbbing, burning blocks of ice that just won't heat up.

Misery, I tell you!

Today the chicken condo is being built and will be housed in the semi-insulated garage, separate from the coop as I ran out of space in there. I'll transfer one rooster and the two bantam (size small) hens there this evening so that Solaris, my new big roo, can be mixed with my egg-laying hens and fertilize some eggs with no bloodshed - well, at least that's the plan. You never know with the precious "pecking order" what can happen.

Not ground-breaking news to any of you but it sure is exciting for me!

We're using material that's laying around in the barn so all it costs is the labor. Of course I'll post pics later, just try and stop me!

*grin*

Oh and if anyone wonders what happened to my amazing birthday present, it's up and has been tested and runs excellently - just need to practice keeping the temps and humidity steady for a couple of days before setting in the eggs on the 17th, that's the fun and easy part! Here the 'bator, complete with egg-turner inside:
And that's all about the chickens for today ;-)

I have an appointment this afternoon with a therapist for my aching back, something about a Bowen technique? Hope it helps - at this point I'm willing to try anything for relief.

Oh and my hot date last night was awesome! She dolled herself up for me (so I like to think), got me some awesome Lindt chocolate and a sweet companion for my Rooster of Luck and Happiness:

...as well as the best tea mug evar as a bday present -
I loves it and it will get used every day, you can imagine!

No, I'm not sharing her. You get your own hot date.

Happy Friday, everyone - you only get one a week so be sure to make it ROCK!

/end of Soul Tea post/

8 comments:

Kathryn said...

Your date was awfully good to you! What a lovely companion to your first Rooster of Luck and Happiness.

Happy Friday to you . . . we're supposed to get buckets of snow. Who cares! It's our one year mark on Sunday - really don't care if I get snowed in so long as it's with my man!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Hope your weather gets nicer. I feel cold just reading about it!
That egg thing looks interesting.
Love your new gifts...so cute.
Glad you got to get out of the house. Have a wonderful weekend.

Busy Bee Suz said...

That is quite the fancy egg contraption you have there. I want one. I don't know what I will do with it, but I just know I want one. :)
Love your new gifts!!!
I wonder if all the critters are fighting over who gets to move into the new house in the garage????
Hope the therapy helps you!!!!

Sweet T said...

Sounds like a lovely date! She is awesome isn't she :)

Hopefully you will soon have some eggs to put in there!

Sounds bitter cold there :( Trade ya though...here we are having a blizzard. Yey for a snow day off work, but it is crazy windy out there.

prin said...

I totes did doll myself up. I even put on colored lip balm. :D

Glad you like the mug and roo. Vegas' roo dwarfs my little guy. lol I'm glad he found a home where he fits in at least. :D

Can't wait to hear of the 'bator experiments. :)

lol @ T. :D *blushes*

Frank said...

"Hova Bator"

That sounds dirty...

You should come down here, it's been in the mid 30s the past week, so all 5000 feet of snow we had is melting and turning the entire state into a wintery swamp.

Technodoll said...

Kathryn, well a big CONGRATS in advance for your One Year Anniversary - wow! You're right, as long as you're with the right person the weather doesn't matter that much ;-)

Just Breathe, it's freeeeezing and damp and oh, how I long for spring! Counting the days and trying to enjoy the meantime as much as possible.

Busy Bee, hmm the new chicken condo feels more like a little jail to me but it's just temporary housing for 2 weeks, I hope they'll adapt!

Sweet T, OK fine your blizzard wins, LOL! I'm fed up with winter, is it spring yet? Sigh.

Prin, your roo is totally at home here! Woo! I noticed the lip gloss btw. Just didn't say anything on account of all the hotness. You know.

Frank, our swamp is coming, you know it is... Good thing I have these awesome rubber farming boots!

Anonymous said...

Love the pix and the incubator, nice!!!