Wednesday, December 2, 2009

You wanna know what's been crackin'?

I'll get straight to the punchline... Vegas and I are putting this place up for sale and looking for a smaller, more affordable and manageable home.

Yep, I know: crazy!

We just moved here five months ago!

It took us a while to weigh the pros and cons, crunch numbers this way and that, figure out our goals and the quality of life we wanted and it's clear, we need to relocate.

We bought the house & land to run a dog boarding business and since that's off the table, it makes no sense to have so much house, such a huge mortgage and so much land maintenance that sucks up all our free time. Plus Vegas' commute to the city for his work is stressful, if we can knock some travel time off for him that would be great.

Facing reality can be daunting, but we have to be realistic about it. The good news is that we stand to make a tidy profit from this place, which will allow us to put a big down payment on another property and reduce our monthly expenses to something that gives us breathing room.

Nobody likes being house-poor.

So, the appraiser comes next Tuesday and we'll then have some real figures to work with - so exciting! Then I need to do some painting to neaten up the place, stage & take photos and get the property listed. We're doing it ourselves, no agent - screw that!

We don't regret having bought this place for a moment, we needed to do it to get out of the city, figure out what we could live with, follow a dream (even if it didn't work out), test the waters and now everything is clear.

We have options now, so all is good, very good.

This move will allow me to continue doing what I love best: raising chickens, caring for the dogs and our home, gardening and cooking, doing some photography gigs and just... LIVE. Vegas loves his job and encourages me to follow this path as it is what's best for us.

Secretly, I think he just likes my cooking and house management skillz :-D

In other news, I followed my gut instinct and my heart and decided to give Blossom one last chance at hatching some babies as she is soooo determined, it would be more work to try and break her broodiness than anything else.

This time though, we're giving her all the chances for success so as of this morning, this is what's occupying our downstairs bathroom:

Is she cute, or what? :-)

She's sitting on 7 (lucky number) eggs and if the roos did their job a few of them should be fertile. We''ll know by Sunday. Please send good joojoo for Christmas chicks!

I'm off to my dad's tomorrow morning so won't be blogging until late weekend, you better all behave mmmmkay? Momma hen's watching! LOL!

/end of By The Grace Of Mother Nature post/

19 comments:

myself said...

Holy good god another move, here's hoping you didn't unpack everything (god knows I know how daunting packing up a house is).

Will you stay in the same area?

Kathryn said...

Wow. That is some news! But, if you can do it, then there's no point in not doing it. And better now while the iron's hot. But oh my - I don't envy you the packing up and moving. I can't stand that nonsense.

She is absolutely adorable sittin on the eggs. Christmas chick juju sent your way.

Do enjoy your trip, don't get overwhelmed by being out of your comfort zone. Will be thinking of you.

Happy Wednesday.

Technodoll said...

Myself, we may stay around here but would prefer to be a bit closer to the city to reduce hubby's commute time... and guess what: I had unpacked quite a bit but never really got around to doing it all, it's like I had an inkling? yey!

Kathryn, I'm actually looking forward to a couple days of "freedom", it's been forever! I know that Vegas will take care of the critters... and I'll be phoning lots to make sure, LOL! About the move... sigh. Don't let's go there right now, I'll cry!

C said...

congrats on your decision. i'm sure it wasnt made easily nor in haste. you gotta do what you gotta do, hon. whats the point of life if you are always house broke? i know you will find a cute spot just right for you n the fam....


c

Technodoll said...

Thanks sweetie... it's a never-ending, never-boring journey that's for sure - I'll sleep when I'm dead? ;-)

Busy Bee Suz said...

I don't know if I can handle another move. I am still wore out from the last one...and then all the renovations. Geeze. I am whooped. Oh, wait, I am not doing anything. nevermind. Good luck to you both..I hope it does work out smoothly for you. I understand about having TOO much...too much house, too much yard, it is difficult and a big money suck.

at first I was going to ask: are you guys bipolar? but that is not funny, as some people really are.
:0

enjoy your visit with Dad!!!

Rebecca Foster said...

You are simply awesome for moving on with your dreams in a way that is healthy for you. I think too many people would stay put just because it would be work to do something different.

You are my hero!

Tonya said...

Wow that is big news! Lots of changes going on all around you! I hope everything turns out well and you make some money on selling your place! :)

Anonymous said...

wow i love the chicken pictures oh and arent they beautiful breeds!

Anonymous said...

how many chickens have you got now?

myself said...

PS, the realization that you've gotten in over your head is nothing to scoff at....some of us (you) it comes quick, some of us are slower (me). Gotta do what you gotta do to make you happy (and lessen the cleaning LOL!)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Your plan sounds smart. You have made several hard decisions lately but they will also free you. Best of luck in selling and buying that new place. Also with Blossom!

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

Love your instinct with your chickens. Fun huh? And great news on your move. I wish you the best of luck and for a quick sale! I know moving cant be easy especially since you just moved, but getting where you want/need to be for this next life venture. Keep us all posted (cause we will keep following your blog no matter where you move to - LOL)

Curly said...

Ah sistahchickenhoood.... :)

jaxjilmommy said...

Good luck and congrats on making such a big decision. you have to follow your gut and it sounds like you are doing the right thing and elliminating stress. Have fun at your dads and I'm sending magic joojoo to Miss Chicky. xoxoxxo

Technodoll said...

Busy Bee, not bipolar just realizing we can do much better with less. Yeah still exhausted from the last move but it's ok, we can do it :)

Rebecca, I'll have to keep remembering that when I feel I can't possibly pack another box or visit another property, ha ha!

Surfergrrl, me too... or else we're pretty screwed!

Anon, thanks!

Charlotte, 22 chickens so far, woo!

Myself, exactly... we had to face reality and are making adjustments to continue "the good life"!

Just Breathe, thank you! Life is about constantly pulling your socks up, isn't it? LOL

Daring, I promise to make the "moving blog" as funny as possible, between the rantings and moanings :-D

Curly, you bet! and no potato salad, promise.

Jmom, thank you! need all the good joojoo and mojo we can get ;-)

Lady B, we've had soooo much support on this, it really helps! Whew!

Frank said...

How much you asking?

I'll put down $40 now, and give you the rest between now and the year 2350.

Technodoll said...

Gee Frank, I dunno - the offer is almost too good to be true!

Katie said...

I'm sorry honey! That's a lot of moving in a little time. I hope it all goes well.

I wish for you luck in selling, luck in buying, and strong men to stumble by and pack you up and move you for free.